They locked eyes. Kayde offered a nod before walking to the middle of the room. Facing the fireplace, he dropped to his knees and ducked his head down. Iris let out a soft laugh before joining him closer to the fireplace.

Tentatively, she began running the comb through the back of his long, black curtain of hair. In the meantime, he remained perfectly still for her. When she found no snarls or tangles she grew a bit more confident, using the comb to part and organize it. Each shock of hair slicked easily through the teeth of the little tool.

Without a word, she started fashioning it into a sort of intricate braid that her mother had taught her how to do when she was alive. Despite her sometimes violent profession, her hands were gentle as they twirled the strands together. The style took a small while, and Iris would intermittently rub his shoulders for a few seconds. His hair cooperated a lot better than hers, due to being stick straight. She was almost jealous.

When she was done, she walked around to his front. With a finger, she lifted his chin so that she might survey her work.

His hair looked very nice pulled away from his face. Somehow, his eyes looked more incandescent than they already did. Iris could see each strand, vivid green and yellow weaving together to turn each eye into a gem.

"It's really a cruel joke," Iris clucked her tongue. "You're prettier than me."

"Now that's nonsense." Kayde stood up quickly. Iris's eyes followed him up. Before she could protest, he grabbed her by the hand and started tugging her away towards the door.

"What are you doing?" Iris finally got out, stunned at the sudden movement.

"You'll see," he said.

He spun her into his washing room as quick as a cat and stood her right in front of the mirror. She tried to turn to face him, but he stopped her. "No, don't look at me, dear girl. Look at yourself."

"I can still see you in the mirror," Iris commented.

"Pretend I'm not there," he instructed. "Right now, it's just you in that mirror."

"Why am I here, Kayde?" Iris raised a brow.

"Because I'm about to show you why you're the most beautiful person in the world," he answered and lifted her chin. "Let's begin. Now let's address this first," he pulled her hair over her shoulders. "Look at those dark curls, how they shine. Those curls you cut all away for your father." He quickly braided her own hair away from her face. "I want you to look at your eyes. You have lovely eyelashes. They bring out the color of your eyes -that color that's as dark and rich as chocolate. They've seen so much horror, and yet they somehow glow with bravery and hope. They're the only eyes in the world that can stand me still."

"Kayde, they're just eyes," Iris playfully snorted, but he shushed her.

"I'm not done," he went on. "And then your skin might as well be made of porcelain, because it's the color of moon-glass and nearly faultless. Except for places like these," he pulled her hand up to show a small scar on the back of her hand. "Which exist because you've saved so many lives." He dropped her hand. "Let's talk about your cheeks."

"Oy," Iris grinned. "Here we go."

He ignored her satire. "What phenomenal cheekbones, first off. But the best part about your cheeks is that they flush a pale pink color when you get really excited. That and," he poked one of her dimples. "I like these. They get prominent when you smile at me. A smile that you use to brighten more days than this world can count," he went on, "which brings us to your lips. They're the color of a dusk rose and entirely soft. Your teeth look like pearls behind them. You use all of it to convey yourself to the world -to change the world."