Chapter 13 ~ Just Like Animals

Start from the beginning

Me: ah! so excited for them!!

Jake: Same. So how'd u like our date?

Me: amazing!

Jake: I liked it too. Gotta go on one again soon.

Me: totally! okay, gtg. bye!!

Jake: Bye

I am so glad that he liked our date! I had so much fun!

I plugged my phone in, pulled my covers over my chest, and let sleep overtake me.

~~~~~

Saturday, 8 A.M.

I woke up because the sun was making its way into my room through the curtains. I don't know why, but I just can't sleep when there is light.

I squinted at the sight of the sun's beams, and slowly woke myself up. I unplugged my phone, which was resting on the dresser, to check the time.

8:00?! I totally forgot! I scheduled myself to volunteer at the animal shelter today with Leia at 8:50! Dangit!

I rushed to my bathroom to quickly brush my teeth and take a quick shower.

I blow dried my hair, changed into an old t-shirt and jean shorts, and then tied my hair up into a messy bun. I grabbed my old, dirty converse and ran downstairs. As I reached the first floor, it was 8:25.

"Good morning honey, why the rush?" my mom asked.

"I forgot I had to volunteer at the animal shelter today. And Leia said she would pick me up in like 2 minutes. Can I just have that banana please?" I said, pointing to the banana resting on the counter.

"Sure," my mom said as she handed me the fruit.

"Thanks mom, I'll be home at 12!" I said to her as I grabbed a jacket, slipped on my sunglasses, and headed out the door.

Leia's car was already waiting outside my house. I jumped in.

"What took you so long?" she asked me.

"I completely forgot I said I would volunteer today." I explained.

We drove to the animal shelter, which was about 20 minutes away from my house, and rushed to the building just to check in on time.

I put on my apron and went to where the dogs were.

"Hey Lindsey, can you pass out the Kongs please?" Jordan, my group leader, asked.

The Kongs were filled with frozen dog food and peanut butter. We would give them to the dogs every morning, and take them away to wash and prepare for the next day at 12.

"Sure," I responded to Jordan as I took the bucket of Kongs from his hands.

He smiled and said he would meet me at the cat house later.

As I was passing out the Kongs, I came to Gruff's cage.

"Hey bud! How are you today?" I said to the dog staring back at me through the gate.

Gruff was a brown mastiff that has been at the shelter for a few months now. He was found chained up to a tree, and he was taken and given to the shelter. He is a huge sweetheart, but I think his size is what scares people from adopting him.

"Come here, Gruff!" I said to him as I entered his cage.

There was plenty of room for him to walk around and play with toys. He walked up to me and gave me a huge kiss on the hand. I laughed and told him to go get his toy.