Number Sixteen

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is your only choice

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is your only choice."

Number Sixteen

"Very good, 00." Kreuz's image looked neither pleased nor perplexed on the wide screen attached on the wall. His hands were under his chin as he spoke in a calm, business-like demeanor. "You found Krad."

Faye couldn't believe her own ears. The nonchalance the Master emitted was not what she expected. Regret, guilt, shame, there were hundreds of expressions to show when one's dirty secret was discovered. But, really, the Master didn't care at all? Wasn't he bothered, even a bit, about her discovering that two Gneisses exist in the planet? Really? Not even faked remorse?

She couldn't even feel the relief she expected. It was if she was robbed of her lungs, of her voice box, and of her brain cells.

"It must have been a feat," the Master continued, "I'm sorry to not have seen it."

Her body collapsed, thankfully not on the floor but on a nearby chair. Her voice was small as she asked, "Krad is, he is 01, the true 01... isn't he?"

"Yes." His answer didn't even require thought on his part.

Faye gazed at the blonde boy standing in front of her. His eyes were fixed on the monitor, failing his attempts to see through their Master's poker face. Even she couldn't gauge his emotions or even try to guess his thoughts. She wondered, for a moment, whether Gneiss felt the same terrifying emptiness she was currently feeling.

The Master knew all along. From the very start, we've been dancing on his palms, being manipulated by his puppet strings...

"Why?" was all Faye managed to ask.

"Why what?" the Master prodded despite him knowing what she meant.

Something snapped inside her. She slammed her hand on the marbled table, sending vibrations through the air. Her Gift was crackling, aching to be released. "Why what?! Don't fool around! You know what I'm talking abou! All this time you've led me to believing he's in a coma! Why? Why would you do that? Why would you even go that far, stoop that low? This wasn't part of the agreement!"

The Master's menacing eyes studied her coolly. "Our contract didn't specify that I have to inform you when 01 wakes up. I thought that's a given."

"But you hid him! You hid him from me! You know that 13 and I are never on good terms – exactly the reason why you placed Gneiss in Vegas of all places. You know that I would never dare venture on 13's territory.  You even sent me on multiple missions on places beyond my jurisdiction! You clearly planned on not letting me know he's awake... Ha ha." She clawed on her hair, holding the tears threatening to trickle down her face. "I can't believe it.  I've been an idiot. I shouldn't have trusted you. I basically worried over nothing. All my sacrifices... for nothing."