27: With Heavy Looks

Cover painting by Angela Taratuta. This sketch of Wash is by Melissa C. Zayas. Those nice shoulders and sweet little freckles give me a case of the warmies.

Book 1: The Green, Book 2: Lynch's Boys, Book 3: The Road Home, and the Riders & Kickers Anthology are available on Amazon under the name Regina Shelley. So if you hate waiting for chapter posts and/or want a more polished read, the finished product is available now.

"Luis. Come here to me, lad." Wash hooked his fingers into the doorframe of Bender's bedroom as he hung into the room, giving his young crewmate a stern look. "You can't be in here."

Rosie bent over the writing desk and her books. Wash was glad she realized that keeping up with her studies was important. But he knew she'd be likely to fall behind in her work if Luis continued to distract her. It's not like the lad's someone who's going to encourage her to study. He gestured with his thumb, jerking it back over his shoulder and giving Luis a significant look. And he cannot be in her bedroom alone with her. I remember being his age, so I do. "Out with you."

"He's not bothering me, Wash." Rosie said. "I don't mind if he stays."

"I mind if he's up here alone with you, lass. It's not proper."

Luis gave him a dark look that would have bored smoking holes through Wash's skull if it had been solid, shoved his hands in his pockets, and sauntered sullenly past him and out the door.

Wash nodded at Rosie. "Your schoolin's important," he said gently. "You've had a setback, so you have, and I don't want us to be why you fall behind."

Rosie nodded, her blue eyes serious. "I won't, Wash."

"There's a good lass."

He headed after Luis, who was clomping down the stairs a bit harder than was necessary. "You can't expect me to let you stay alone with a young lady in a bedroom, Luis."

"It don' concern you, Wash." Luis turned at the bottom of the stairs and confronted him with an angry scowl. "You ain't her father."

Wash felt his face grow hot and his heart thud with defensive anger. "No," he hissed, keeping his voice low so Rosie couldn't hear, and grabbing Luis's shoulder. "No, I'm sodding not, am I? Because if I was, me boyo, I'd in be in sodding jail right now instead of trying to do right by the child for once in her young life."

"I was just talking to her! What do you think..."

"I know." Wash let go of him, roaching his hands through his hair. "I know you weren't doing anything wrong. But it ain't proper. And she's got enough distractions. Her schoolin' gets banjaxed up, I'll never forgive meself."

"Since when do you care about 'proper', Wash?" Luis spat, throwing up his hands. "And what, all of a sudden you're Señor Profesor? When have you ever cared about that? You can't even read yourself."

"Aye that's right." Wash nodded, and jabbed Luis in the chest with an angry finger. "So you and I both know how much easier life would be if we weren't a pair of gormless tossers, don't we?

"The hell is a 'garm-lis tah-ser'?'"

Wash composed himself, taking in a deep, calming breath and refusing to take the bait. "So...tell me, laddie." He worked very hard to keep the angry frustration out of his voice. He might have succeeded if it were someone less infuriating than Luis. "Do you think maybe things might be just a wee bit easier on you if you could at least fecking read?"

Luis huffed defensively, crossing his arms. "Don't you?"

"Aye. I'm not one pretending it's not important."

"You're not the one that tried, either." Luis spat, his voice cracking and eyes flashing with anger. "How many times did you try to learn, Wash?"

"Don't put this on me, boyo..."

"No. You're the one telling me how damn important it is! How many times did you try to learn how to read, you estúpido gringo?"

Luis eyes were bright, his face a mask of barely-concealed tension. Wash sighed heavily. Getting into a fight with Luis was really not something he'd intended. And he certainly hadn't intended to provoke the boy nearly to tears. This conversation's run right off the trail, so it has. I had no idea this was a sore spot for him. "Aye," he nodded, softening his tone. "Fair enough."

Luis dropped his gaze to the floor, as it he was giving away something he didn't really want part with. "Don't you think I want to? You think I like feeling stupid?"

The wistful frustration in Luis' voice cut into him, making him hurt. "Alright," he said. "I'm sorry, laddie. I didn't mean..."

Luis shrugged. "'S'alright. I just..." He took a deep, shaking breath and let it out through pursed lips. "I don't know why I even try anymore."

Wash was genuinely surprised by the defeated look on Luis' face. It was not a look he expected to see there. "You're a young lad, Luis," he gently. "You should try again."

"No."

"Just this once. We have a smart, sweet girl living right here now who's willing to help you. Try again."

Luis was looking fearfully at him, as if he might bolt.

Wash nodded earnestly, holding his gaze. "Just once more, aye?"

Luis narrowed his eyes, thinking. "Will you?"

Wash's eyebrows shot up across his brow. The thought was ludicrous, unattainable. Luis was looking at him, searching his face. Pleading.

"Aye," he heard himself breathe, and held out his hand for Luis to shake.

Thanks for reading! If you are enjoying this story, please let me know by giving me a star or a comment! I appreciate your support!