8: When I Sorrow Most

Cover painting by Angela Taratuta. Chapter artwork of Storm by Diego Candia. All graphics by me.

Book 1: The Green, Book 2: Lynch's Boys, Book 3: The Road Home, and the Riders & Kickers Anthology are available on Amazon under the name Regina Shelley. So if you hate waiting for chapter posts and/or want a more polished read, the finished product is available now.

Storm deflated onto the bunkhouse porch rail, leaning his back onto the upright post. The breath had rushed from his lungs is a great, heavy gust and he felt as if he'd been punched. He stared hard at the unfolded letter in his hand, his eyes heavy and hot. Pressing the heel of his other hand against his brow, he could feel his pulse against the base of his thumb. The tight, stiff ache of the dressed burn on his shoulder pulled and pinched under his shirt.

He could sense Dev's eyes boring into him from over the top edge of Fiona's letter. If it had been anyone but the gruff, surly-tempered stock tender watching him right now, he'd have been mortified at being seen with tears rolling down his face. But he knew Dev wasn't here to judge him. He knew Dev understood what a state of desperation felt like.

It wasn't news that Fiona loved him. He'd always known. Even as he tried to pretend he didn't, even as he told himself it was wishful thinking. Even as his own heart utterly betrayed him. He wiped his eyes on his sleeve and sniffed, trying to compose himself before looking up and meeting the man's gaze. "You...read it, then?" he whispered.

Dev nodded once. "Had to." He stepped heavily onto the stone porch and eased his bulk into the weathered chair beside the door. "Can't say I envy you at this point. I'd say you're in a load of trouble right now."

He'd say that and he'd be right. Storm took in the grizzled, sun-scoured face, fierce behind the man's wild beard. He could scarcely believe that Deveraux, who had all but become a recluse, had ridden all the way out to the Green to deliver Fiona's letter to him. That fact alone told him volumes about how seriously Dev was taking this. He didn't know for sure, but he didn't think Dev had really left his post since the other man he'd worked with there, Adan McGrath, had suddenly and unexpectedly left the company. That was when something had happened to Dev and he'd started really turning into something of a hermit. That was when he broke inside. What it must have taken for him to ride out here... "Dev...that was a long ride for you. Why didn't you just pass it off at Ham's Fork to one of Mister Lewis' sons? Then you could have turned around and saved yourself the trip."

"And take the chance of anyone but me knowing?" Dev scoffed, frowning. "Couldn't risk it. I'm doing this to protect her. And you. I rode to Ham's Fork and asked a couple of the Lewis boys to ride out to my station and mind the horses till I get back. " He frowned, his great wooly eyebrows knitting themselves together. "Peltier...does Lynch know?"

"No." Storm hastily folded the missive and tucked it into his shirt pocket. The sour taste of fear and stress burned his throat and tongue and he wiped his burning eyes again. "I don't think so. Dev..." He let out a low, controlled breath, his mind racing. "I can't just sit here and..."

"You read it, Peltier. You know what she said. She told you to stay put."

"I know. I know!" Storm jerked himself off the rail and fidgeted, straightening his back. "She can't expect me to just sit here. Not while she's trapped out there at the Fort and no telling if it might get attacked or...or..." He squeezed his eyes shut. "Dev, I've lived in army forts and camps. I know how it is out there and I just..."

"For a 'breed, you sure don't do much of a job of keeping your head down," Dev growled, leaning back in his chair. "First that shit with them nearly hanging you and now you're messing around with a white woman. A white woman who happens to be Erastus Lynch's niece, no less. Are you trying to get killed?"

Storm flinched, the words stinging.

Dev glared at him. "You know what's going to happen if anyone finds out."

"I didn't plan this," Storm spat, anger and fear making him reckless. He felt trapped. "You think I don't know that?"

Storm watched him gaze out into the distance, squinting. "Lot of the boys are saying it's safer on the road than it is in the stations." He threaded his fingers through his tangled beard and scratched his chin. "I believe that's probably true. I don't like it she's out there, either."

"So what are you saying?" Storm had the distinct feeling he was being led. He knew where he was being led, and was inclined to let Dev take him there.

"I'm just saying, that's all." Dev scratched his ear with a thick finger and inspected his fingernail."Where is everybody?"

"Wash went into town with..." He sighed heavily, unwilling to go through the entire convoluted mess. "Out. They're out. Wash and the boys will be back later. Everyone else is traveling. Blackie's staying here for a couple days. He's in the house, I think."

Scowling unhappily, Dev nodded again, saying nothing as he continued to scratch his ear.

"So..." Storm sighed, leaning back against the porch rail. Dev's been down this road. He's seen where it can end up if it goes bad. I'm looking into my own face...and he's looking into his. He shivered inwardly and chose his words carefully. "You've already decided you're going with me."

Dev's voice was barely audible. "Hell yeah, I'm going with you," he muttered."You stupid sumbitch."

"I guess for a couple of 'breeds..." Storm set his jaw and nodded. "...neither of us do much of a job of keeping our heads down."

Thanks for reading! If you are enjoying this story, please let me know by giving me a star or a comment! I appreciate your support!