Chapter 2- The Whistler

Chapter 2-The Whistler

A lady sat typing sequences and observing the ensuing Great Game. She sighed, "Why did I have to be in charge of this year's game?" in annoyance and sipped the citric alcoholic beverage beside her. "Why is it called the 'Great game' anyway? I need to ask the guild master when I meet him the next time," she looked away from the holograph for a moment and just tried to doze off. Her name was Cara, an Illuminate, and due to her terrible fortune, she had been in this large dark room for hours. In front of her was a holograph that showed the footage of different points of the hexatroid. It also showed the number of contestants, their vitals and other significant variables.While she stared at the holograph, she felt lightheaded. "A few minutes of rest won't hurt," she thought."Oh yes it will hurt," said a strange voice in her head.She looked back to find a a slender man wearing a XXL white jumpsuit inside which she could see traces of black clothing. "Hey! I've been working my ass off for seven hours already! Gimme a break!" she retorted, "And if you intrude my thoughts ever again, I will break those perfect teeth of yours."

The man threw up his arms, "Alright! Alright! Sheesh. Chill," he said while coming closer and inspecting the holographic footage, "Quite a number of contestants this year," he said smirking. "You designed this year's test, didn't you?" he asked trying to not annoy her further."Yeah! I read this cheesy love story a while back and it inspired me!" she said enthusiastically. The man smiled more in fear of angering her further. She drank more of the citric alcoholic beverage. "So..." she began, "You surveyed all the contestants while giving them instructions didn't you?" She put the bottle down and looked him in the eye. "So Barty, what do you think of the contestants?" she asked with a twinkle in her eye.

"I told you to stop calling me Barty," he sighed with frustration, and then, on a serious note he began, "Most of them are average, there were a bunch of kids but I don't think they'll survive. There were the normal combatants, but they were amateurs ..." he paused trying to clear his thoughts."But?" Cara asked, curiosity eating her away."There are a bunch of monsters this year," he added."Oooooo! Tell me more," she said regaining her enthusiasm."There was this young girl, I believe her name is Malda. Her mana count is monstrous. There was that Apodian, he seemed sinister enough and I felt as though he was hiding something," said Bart deep in thought. "An Apodian? Ewww!" Cara said "I hate insects!""But the creepiest of them all was that old geezer," said Bart."Did you just say 'geezer'? WAIT, DID YOU JUST SAY 'CREEPY'?" asked Cara astounded."More like unnerving. He had this smile. I can't quite place it. It's like he knew something, but I don't know how to explain it," said Bart. Cara looked at the holograph sternly, "What's his name?""Jack"

.

.

Meanwhile in a face opposite to Virgo's, a dwarf ran as fast as he could, pushing the trees out of the way. He wasn't scared of the worms as much as the "thing" that was chasing him down. He heard a faint whistle, "SHIT!" he said and sped up. "Why?" he questioned, "Why did I join this accursed test?!" he thought. A moment had not passed before there was a noise so loud that it split his ears followed by a searing pain in his leg. He fell down, his body slamming into the nearby trees. He tried to get up, but he couldn't. He looked at his legs to find that he was missing one. The whistling grew louder.He was afraid. Very afraid. He started sweating. His heart beat faster.

An old man slowly came into view. He was wearing a cap and a standard military uniform. He had snowy white hair and he was whistling nonchalantly with a peculiar smile on his face. He came dancing as if he was dancing to the rhythm he was making. It took only a few seconds, but to the dwarf it felt like hours. "Well hello there young dwarf! Do you like music?" said the man squinting at him."P-please don't hurt me.." said the dwarf crying. By this point, he had no control over his body. His sphincter muscles went away and he was crying."Ah! But no can do young dwarf. How many people do you think are on this face? 50?100?1000? I don't know myself. But one thing I do know is that we are all competing. So isn't it logical that I eliminate competition?" he said laughing like a little kid having fun. "Honestly I haven't had this much fun in years. It's like I'm hunting! Yes!" he said giddily.The dwarf begged, "I SWEAR I WONT GET IN YOUR WAY!!"The man got up calmly. "You will eventually. What's your name by the way?" asked the man."J-Jun," he said stammering."Hey Jun! My name is Jack!" he said waving his hand. Seeing Jun unresponsive, Jack sighed and spoke, "Alright Jun. Since you are so hopeless and not fighting back. You are useless to me. Go!" "Run away,"Jack said setting his cap straight. Jun gasped in disbelief and choked back tears. " T-thank you! Thank you!" he said and did a heal spell on his leg and ran away."Never!" he promised, "Never again will I come here, ever!!" He made a silent vow and ran.