Chapter 1 - The Hexatroid

It was the year 2997 O.P and the world was getting prepared for the 54th annual Illuminate entrance examination. The Illuminate is a secretive guild that has sparked great controversy for around the past 50 years since it's formation. Nobody knows who formed it or why. Regardless, it suddenly became popular and very powerful making it currently the best guild in the congregation guild alliance. Naturally, everyone would love to join the guild. However, there was a persistent problem that crushed the dreams of several dreamers. Only around 50 people make it in the guild every year and the exact method of examination is not known, leading to some very strange rumours.
"Hah, rumours are just rumours after all," thought Virgo as he stared into the giant portal the magic technicians or 'magicians' for short, were conjuring. The guild put centres which teleport to the designated test site around the known universe so that the contestants can't prepare beforehand for the test.
Virgo however, wasn't the least bit bothered. He was a boy of around 15 with a dark complexion that would make people think he was a dark elf. However, he was after all, purely human. His silvery white hair complemented his chocolate brown skin. He was very overconfident in his ability and had a slight superiority complex. But what made him stand apart from everyone was his fashion sense. While others came with armour and weapons, he wore a suit and tie. On asking he'd probably say, "Because it looks awesome." Naturally, he was a loner.
Virgo walked with the crowd as he got into the teleportation circle with around 100 others.
Most of the other contestants were adults. There were many races, from giants to humans to goblins. Some races Virgo hadn't even seen before. "Cool," he muttered. He then noticed four magicians lining at four sides of a circle. He blinked. He opened his eyes to another alien environment.
"Welcome Illuminate contestants. I am one of your examiners. Pleased to make your acquaintance."
The crowd stirred a bit and then became silent again.
"Well let's get to the point shall we? The object you are standing on is a hexatroid."
Virgo thought hard on what a hexatroid was. He was never really good at geography but if he remembered correctly, it was some sort of magic effect. Apparently when people use magic, an excess amount of magic leaks out. This magic is wild ,but for small spells it is relatively harmless. For bigger spells however, big chunks of magic can accumulate and this accumulation tends to bend the laws of physics.
Seeing the confusion the examiner explained, "A hexatroid, for those who do not know, is a cubic asteroid caused by a change in gravity. Basically, you're standing on one face of the hexatroid. There are six faces and each face has around 10000 people. You are not allowed to change face however." The examiner paused to give them time to process the information. "Your objective is simple. The cube has many inner artificial compartments. There's a maze underground that basically leads to the centre of the hexatroid where a portal lies. Enter the portal, pass the exam," The examiner said.
For the crowd gathered, it sounded simple enough. A contestant from the corner asked, "How do we find the underground passage?"
The examiner smiled, "Now where's the fun in that? Your test begins now. By the way, I won't recommend you all staying together now. It's too hot," the examiner laughed and disappeared.
"Where'd he go?" someone from the crowd said, but Virgo didn't hear him. He was too focused on the examiner's final words, "Too hot?"
He then heard a screech and bones breaking from the side, and upon looking he understood what the examiner meant.
Virgo ran as fast as he could, but with his physique, he was very slow compared to others as he was a bit stout.
"Fuck fuck fuck," he kept on muttering not looking back.
Behind, he heard screams and explosions.
Finally, curiosity overtook his instincts and he looked back to find the monster worm gnawing on people and espers fighting the worm. Virgo was an esper too. Everyone in high school is taught a fire spell, an air spell, a zap spell, an ice spell and a heal spell. You can pass high school only if you are proficient in these 5 spells. After passing high school, any given citizen is known as a basic 'esper'. He had passed high school with reasonable marks, but he was just an average esper. He used the wind spell to push the wind out if the way to run faster. He surveyed the landscape. This face was filled with trees separated by a certain distance. Suddenly, there was a rumbling in the ground below him. Knowing that this was the decisive moment, he used the wind spell to get on the branches of a tree and he collapsed. "I really need to get better at practical magic," he thought. Just a bit of magic usage made him lose stamina. He finally got up to see the ensuing battle. Around a dozen or more mages were fighting those worms but they kept on coming. "They must be emitting pheromones of some kind," thought Virgo. He saw many other contestants run away. Finally, the magicians who were attacking lost their stamina and started running away, and in an hour things died out. By this time, Virgo surveyed the surrounding landscape and the worms in general. The worms were as big as a starship or a 3 storey building. It had spikes surrounding its body, probably for burrowing as Virgo thought. This face of the hexatroid was full of trees, but no two trees were together. Every tree was apart from each other by a few metres. Virgo sighed and summoned his 'cube'. He read the time as 15:47 'Standard time'. He still had time. "Okay, time to see the rules of the game." After recovering sufficient mana, he cast a fire spell to the ground continuously. After 3 minutes, a worm appeared and left as soon as it came after finding out that there was no food. Virgo smirked, "Experiment #1; successful. The worm is heat sensitive." He then broke a twig from the branch he was sitting on and using the wind, he propelled it down. Nothing followed. He then broke a few more twigs and steadily threw them down. After 3 more minutes, the worm appeared again. Virgo then proceeded to make conclusions, "I see. So the worm is sensitive to vibration as well as heat, and apparently it has a 3 minute lag for striking as if it needs to make sure it is alive."
Virgo began laughing, "Heh! I am amazing after all." Suddenly, the tree shook up a bit. He looked behind to see a man standing on the adjacent branch. "There was another person here?" said the man.
Virgo looked at himself, "Hmm... No. Sorry. You're mistaken. I'm just a twig," Virgo said. The man smirked, "Sorry if I'm intruding," said the man.
"Ah no. No problem,"said Virgo with a poker face. The man seemed a bit hesitant to say the next few words "Umm... Mind if we team up? I don't think I can do this alone."
Virgo considered this for a few moments. "Sure. Why not?" said Virgo and extended his hand "Virgo Savage, at your service."
The man smiled delightfully 
"Wynn"
.
.
.
Night time was falling and all was still. Virgo had taken watch while Wynn had slept. Virgo looked at Wynn."Seems pretty much like an average college student," he muttered and shifted his gaze to the branches of the tree he was sitting on. The branches were covered in intricate designs, but something else caught Virgo's eye. Claw markings. He leaned in to look more closely . The markings were hardly visible. This troubled Virgo. Sunken deep in thought, he hardly noticed the shuffling at his back. By the time he turned around, a screeching primate around the size of a dwarf leapt towards Virgo with its arms outstretched. Virgo tried to dodge but the primate, through carefully balanced movements, swung his hand like a whip aiming for Virgo's head.On instinct, Virgo put out his arm just in time, to not have a concussion but break his arm . He cursed and used the wind spell to propel himself away from the primate to keep his distance. At that moment it struck him, as he looked around, he saw ten, twenty, ...no. A herd of fifty or so of those primates.
"Are you fucking kidding me??!!"
.
.
.
Malda sat on the crooked branch surveying the surrounding landscape of the forest. There was no moon on the hexatroid, so everything was dark and the only slight source of illumination was far northwest. "What do you suppose that is, Sher??" Asked Malda inspecting the light.
"I think that it's the passage way. Then again, could it be a farce?" He smirked. "So this is what the 'great game' was. Those conspiracy theorists will have a run for their money," said the man.
Malda looked at him thoughtfully. His name was Sherwood, a prodigy NAVI studying in her university. They were really good friends and Sherwood had already planned to join the Illuminate guild, so they had agreed to team up.
NAVI's or navigators were people who studied the Geography, Biology, and the Ecology of the entire known universe. They are what they call, 'the essentials to any expedition' since they'd be the one who know most about any planet's ecology. "Still, for the Illuminate to make a hexatroid and infest it with Krakion death worms, they just have too much time," said Sherwood. "The hexatroid is artificial?!" asked Malda in surprise. "You didn't notice? Yes it is. There is also a consistent magic field that prevents me from teleporting out of the hexatroid. I suppose they are vigilantly monitoring us," said Sherwood. Malda sighed, she made her cube appear through a spell."Did you try calling anyone through your cube, Sher?" asked Malda.
"As I told you, there's a magic field. Everything from calls to the Extranet is gone. Basically, we can't make outside communication. The cube is practically useless," Sherwood said with a slight sigh.
"Anyway," began Malda, "Let's go. It doesn't do us any good if we just sit idle," said Malda and hopped off the tree. Before she fell, she created a slope of ice and using the fire spell slightly, she heated her boots up, and glided over the ice.
"I suppose all we need to do is glide over the ice and we don't have to deal with the...the....K-"
"Krakion death worms," said Sherwood.
"Yeah that."
Malda created a layer of ice that covered the surrounding ground with Ice. Using wind magic, she propelled herself forward and Sherwood followed.
"Wait so umm..just curious, but like what do those Kra- kion worms eat?" asked Malda.
"Well normally, they are cannibals, that's why the worms kept on coming after one worm got killed today morning. However, they also feed on other prey." Sherwood paused, "Do you know why I hurried to get out of the trees?"
"I've been wondering that," said Malda.
"I saw Wapol markings," said Sherwood.
"What markings?" asked Malda dumbfounded.
"They are omnivorous primates. In the planet of Krakia, the locals call it the demon monkey. And these trees are its territory," said Sherwood pointing at the trees, "They are afraid to come down due to the Krakion worms, but they will attack anyone who invades their territory, like most contestants here."
Suddenly, they felt a rumbling in the ground.
Malda, afraid, slowly looked at Sher,
"Sher....I thought the ice would-"
"Hush!" motioned Sherwood and he slowly knelt down while closing his eyes. After a few moments, he got up and motioned for Malda to follow him. After gliding for around a few minutes in the dead of the night without a sound, Sherwood stopped.
"What is it, Sher?"asked Malda.
"What the hell is this??" he said and Malda could see that he was visibly frightened.
Malda caught up to Sherwood to find a hole in the ground. Not just any hole, but a hole the size of a football stadium. "It's recent....this was done by... A living being.." said Sherwood.
"Just what is this place??"
Chapter 1-END