Chapter 7

Joan closed her eyes and listened to Sherlock walk down the stair and out the door. She smiled, and sighed to herself. She needed to fix her lipstick.

Joan stepped into the bathroom and looked in the mirror. She reapplied the same lipstick as before, this time making sure to use just a bit more to accent her natural pout. She ran a few fingers through her hair in a last attempt to make it look nice. She grabbed a clutch bag from the bedroom and threw her phone in it, racing down the stairs after Sherlock. She opened the front door, expecting to find a cab waiting, but instead discovered something quite different.

Sitting next to the curb was a black limo. A chauffeur wearing a white tuxedo opened up one if the door for her and gestured towards it with a gloved hand. "Ma'am."

Joan hesitantly stepped forward. "Thank you." 

 She slid into the limo, finding a wide eyed and grinning Sherlock seated across from her.The door snapped closed as she sat down, the engine starting a few seconds later.

"A limo Sherlock?!" she gasped, trying to sound upset, though the emotion didn't really reach her words. Sherlock just smiled back at her, seated comfortably on the black fabric.

"Are you crazy?" Joan smiled, shaking her head.

"It's up for debate." 

"You know I would have been just as happy with a night in with you."

Sherlock shrugged. "This is more eccentric."

Joan grabbed Sherlock hands from where they were sitting in her lap. "Thank you."

Sherlock looked taken aback for a moment, but she quickly changed it, reverting back to a calm collected look. "It's no problem love."

Joan grinned at Sherlock and leaned back in the seats, eyes trailing up towards the ceiling. "God, I feel like I'm in 9th grade again taking Mary Morstan to the dance."

"Well I'm sure I'm much prettier than her." Sherlock said with a wink.

Joan grinned back at her. "I don't know, she was fairly beautiful. Most of the guys, and some of the girls, in the school fancied her."

"Makes it even less believable that you actually got her to go with you."

"I got you to date me."

"I believe I asked you out."

"You got me kidnapped by a serial killer so you could prove to the police that you were right."

"And they say romance is dead."

Joan just smiled brightly and leaned across the empty space to give her a soft kiss. 

~~~

Sherlock looked out the tinted window. "We've arrived."

The door was pulled open, and Joan started to step about before turning to look back at Sherlock. "If this is all just an elaborate plan to murder me I'll never forgive you."

Sherlock stepped out after her and offered Joan her arm. "You do have to admit, if I am going to kill you, I am quite dedicated."

Joan hummed in response and the two of them started towards the entrance.