Part 29

The edge of the water tank of the principal temple in the village was dotted with young boys performing Surya Namaskar, the sun salutation, as a warm up for other yoga exercises called asanas

The edge of the water tank of the principal temple in the village was dotted with young boys performing Surya Namaskar, the sun salutation, as a warm up for other yoga exercises called asanas. This morning gathering was an obligatory tradition, especially on non-working days, for the youth of the village. Besides having a spiritual side it was also a workout regime to develop fitness and physical strength. The boys went about their sequence of postures with poise, led by some senior youth who expertly guided the young initiates.

A pair of eager eyes took in the scene stealthily. Their owner, a comely girl who was in her early teens, was dressed in a candy pink ensemble. She fidgeted in the temple courtyard looking for a valid excuse to stay a little longer yet remain unnoticed. Her eyes darted around looking for potential threats while she kept her focus on the band of boys exercising in disciplined rows. As soon as the leader gave the boys permission to disperse the girl forgot everything else and took her position, waiting for the right moment to approach the one she had been waiting to see. 

"Madhav, Madhav! May I have a word with you?" She called out to draw his attention

"Madhav, Madhav! May I have a word with you?" She called out to draw his attention. Madhav halted and turned around. Even Waman, who was walking a few steps behind him, stopped. 

"Arey Rohini? Is it your birthday today? You are dressed so formally!" Rohini was a year older than him but Madhav's athletic frame towered a head above hers. Still, if she had not failed a school year she would be a grade higher than Madhav's.

"As if! My birthday went by months ago! Today is a festive day, in case you have forgotten!" She tried to look indignant.

"Oh, I thought....anyway, did that scalawag Balu bother you again? I hope not, for his sake!" Madhav wiped the sweat glistening on his torso with his muslin stole. Rohini's eyes widened and her breath hitched.

"No, that fellow has been behaving himself ever since your mother and mine had a word with his family. It seems if they hear another complaint about him they will pack him off to boarding school in Aundh. That threat has worked very well, he knows there are bigger bullies in Aundh and they will merrily beat him up if he tries to act cheeky. Actually I needed your help with Math, I cannot figure head nor tail of it. Without assistance I am sure to fail another time. Please Madhav, we don't have school today. Can we meet in the temple in a couple of hours? The place is quiet at that time, we can work undisturbed." Rohini's eyes glanced at him hopefully.