Chapter Thirteen

Comincia dall'inizio

"Rex has requested to take you out for lunch, so grab your things." Angela grins, watching me as I walk closer towards them with eager and heeled strides.

"Lunch?" I stupidly ask, still slightly overwhelmed by Rex's being here.

Politely, yet ever so sweetly, he takes hold of my hand. "Are you hungry?" He looks at me, a smile gorgeously reaching the farthest corners of his shapely mouth.

Nodding with such enthusiasm, I manage to answer. "Starving."

"Good. I'll wait here whilst you grab your coat." He tells me, lovingly squeezing my hand before letting go of it.

Still a little lost for words, I obediently turn. With each step I take towards my office, the more my excitement grows. That excitement squeezes the living daylights out of all the emptiness that I have been carrying around inside of me. Feeling this way, has become a regular thing for me now. Every time I see Rex, the excitement suffocates my hollowness. When I leave him, the hollowness suffocates my excitement. It keeps happening and it will continue to happen. It's just the way things are at the moment. These are the two feelings that I persistently swing between. Rex and I, have officially been seeing each other for just over a month now. We see each other as much as we can. When he's not working, he comes to me. When I'm not working, I go to him. He has a key to my place. I have a key to his. This is normal for us. It's certainly not idyllic, but for now, it will have to do. Work, time and distance, exhausts us. Those three factors, make it so very difficult. But I'll take difficult, if it means having Rex in my life again.

Have I thought about moving to London? Yes.

Have I thought about finding a job nearer to London? Yes.

I have thought about it so much lately, I actually give myself blinding headaches. That, and the tiredness, gives me blinding headaches.

It just seems that the more we try to nurture our relationship, the tireder we seem to get. It's far more difficult for Rex to fit me into his life, because his work hours are so varied and often unsociable. Sometimes, when I am not working but I know he is, I will still drive to London. I just like being surrounded by his things. Being surrounded by his smell. Being surrounded by him. There have been a couple of occasions when he has come home in the early hours, to find me contentedly asleep in his bed. To feel him slide in behind me and pull me tight against his body with a loving but exhausted sigh, is the greatest feeling in the world. Without him even having to say it, I just know he is glad that I am there. Just as I am about him being here right now. With my bag swung over my shoulder and my mobile in my hand, I am ready to have a precious lunch date with my very precious man. Striding towards him and glowing with confidence, I almost sing out. "I'm ready!"

Sliding his arm around my waist, he smiles. "You certainly are." Then looking across to Angela, he says his polite goodbye to her. "I'll have her back by two. Great to see you, Angie...tell Aidan I'll call him sometime this week, okay?" He's absolutely being his usual and charming self, but also seems keen to get away as quickly as possible.

Acknowledging Rex's keenness, Angela just smirks. "I will, have fun!"

With our arms brushing against each other's as we walk towards his car, I snuggle in just that little bit closer against him. "I'm glad you're here."

Rex slows down, eventually stopping. "I've missed you." His hand now holds my cheek in his warm palm as his eyes lock deeply onto mine before slowly pulling me in for a meaningful kiss. His mouth is delicately dominant—cushioned and caring against mine.

With my content heart expanding, I actually sigh as our lips sedately separate. "I've missed you too." My head now rests against his shoulder as I silently appreciate this sweet and unexpected moment.