Chapter Four - You're Back

Capernoited:

(adj.) Peevish; tipsy or slightly intoxicated.

Chapter Four – You're Back

----------

It took too long to get home, almost two hours from Evan Knight's house to mine. And I still question why I had decided to walk through the most horrific streets of Oklahoma. Somehow I don't feel uncomfortable as the eyes of the other people follow me around and I couldn't care less about my expensive shoes that were getting dirty.

The boy had called me the day after and I immediately took action on it, but still two days later I feel like shit.

And now that I am home I feel even more lost than before. The nagging feeling of three nights before slowly crawls back to me and I feel nauseous as I walk into my bedroom. I peel off my suit, get myself in some comfy pajama's and walk back downstairs to make myself something to eat. It doesn't even occur to me that it's already past seven as I slowly fall asleep on the couch, but I soon get woken up roughly.

'Why the hell didn't you pick your phone up?' Charlotte asks me with tears streaming down her face and I blink away my shock as I see her standing in front of me.

'What, why?' Somewhere I do know why, but the sleeping frog is still covering my senses.

'You told me you would pick me up, Alexander. I was standing there looking like a fool in front of those people, because you weren't there!'

Immediately I stand up to pull her into my arms, but she roughly shoves me away.

'I am so very sorry Charlotte, I have been crazy busy and Grace was keeping me at the office. I tried to call you, but I left my phone at home,' that was a lie. I almost shocked myself as the lie comes out so easy. I never lie to Charlotte, at least about nothing more than me eating all the cookies. And now it flows out of me so easily and I am ashamed to admit that I feel proud when I see her soften. Though she doesn't seem to let it go.

'Then still! Alexander you said you would be there, Jared must think you're an idiot now!' I immediately felt confused as she starts talking about Jared, what did that idiot have to do with it?

'So this is about your reputation? You don't give a shit about me not picking you up, you would have walked if it wasn't for that idiot!' Charlotte gasps as the words escape my mouth and I can't help but get even more angry over her childish behavior.

'You know just as well as I do that you will go down the drain if you keep acting like this! That people accepted it when you were younger, fine, but in this community you won't survive this way.' I am ready to throw the furniture through the room, pull the hair from my head and knock some sense in her, figural.

'Then maybe that's wrong! Don't you think it is crazy that I don't get to live how I want, because others will judge me. I know that I was wrong forgetting it, Char, but you shouldn't bring this up!' She knows just how to push my buttons, what she has to say to make me go mad.

'If you don't like it why won't you move to another state then!?' Never had Charlotte really screamed at me before and never had I really scolded at or around her. So as the words leave her mouth I can't help but feel utterly astonished and hurt.

I don't answer her, I don't look her in the eyes, I simply let a puff of air escape my lips as my final control fades from my body. I turn around and just walk towards the stairs as Charlotte's screams follow me, her voice pleading me to stay yet telling me to go.

I change in some comfortable, but OK looking clothes, before making my way downstairs again. As I walk into my study I get the package of cigarettes and put it in my pocket, along with my wallet and keys. Within the span of not more than five minutes I'm completely dressed and ready to go and not even Charlotte can stop me.