Chapter Three - Paying a visit

Anomia:

(n.) The inability to recall the names of people or things.

Chapter Three – Paying A Visit

----------

Dark bags under my eyes, a horrible stubble on my chin, an eye-watering morning breath and the look of a hobo who hasn't washed in weeks.

I didn't even know it was possible to look this horrid after only one day without Charlotte, of only one day of trying to be inde-pendent. It hasn't even been a whole day yet!?

How did I do this when I lived alone?

I rub my hands over my face and slowly walk away from the mirror. I can't stand the sight of me right now. My phone has been buzzing all morning and I just can't bring myself to picking it up. It's probably Grace trying to get me to come to work since I have 'important appointments'. Somehow it all seems to be a bit harder today. Not even just because Charlotte's not here with me, or be-cause I don't know how to cook. But because I hate having a melt-down, especially when it shows the morning after when I take a look at myself in the mirror.

I let out a sigh as I feel the chilly wind from the window blow inside and I immediately feel cold. A pair of sweatpants and one of my sleeveless shirts don't warm me much. When I'm about to walk to the bedroom my phone rings again and I let out a groan as I force myself to turn around and walk towards the kitchen bar. Just like I expected I see Grace's name flash on my screen and I can't bring myself to let it ring again. So with a small encouraging pat on my shoulder I pick up the phone and bring it to my ear.

'Morning, this is Alexander Donahew speaking.' I carefully keep the phone away from my ear, already knowing what's about to come.

'AND NOW YOU PICK UP?! AT HALF PAST FREAKING ELEVEN!' Grace screams on the other side of the line. I nod along as she keeps on rambling about how I should not just stay away without telling her. And even though I'm her boss, I get the most creative curse words thrown at me.

'I understand that you are frustrated Grace, but I am not coming in today,' I tell her a bit bored, but she has a response ready for me.

'Now and what about the boy you would be visiting this after-noon? He'll be devastated if you don't hear him out.' I grit my teeth together in annoyance, Grace always knows what to say to get me to cooperate.

Maybe I should go anyway , the boy seemed like a good pal and I wouldn't want him to loose trust in our products or company.

I take a look at the shattered newspaper on the table and let out a deep sigh.

'I'll come in today, Grace. Only to see the boy and then I'll be gone again.' I can almost see the smirk on her face and I roll my eyes as I realize how easy she can let me do things.

'Great, let me know how it went! I'll send you his address in a minute.' Without waiting for me to react she hangs up and I bang my head on the table in frustration. Now I'll have to get myself ready and look presentable even though I feel like absolute shit.

My chauffeur drives me through a shabby neighborhood where there are children sleeping next to the road. A pair of abandoned houses are used as shelter, though there's not much to cover any-more. The eyes keep following me, the people look at the expensive car as if it's dirt. And it somehow is, because it doesn't fit in a place like this.

I almost feel uncomfortable as I look at the broken windows and empty cans that are used to play with. Maybe I should just walk the rest of the way, it would feel a bit more appropriate then coming to a stop in front of a shit looking house in a way too ex-pensive car.

'You can stop here,' I tell the driver and he parks along the side of the road immediately.

'Thank you Andy.' He simply gives me a nod before driving off as I close my door. I make my way through small roads and staring eyes with my GPS tightly gripped in my hand. As I look down at it I see that his house is right in front of me and I frown as I see the pillars that are holding the thing together. That boy looks way too fragile to live in a neighborhood like this, where everyone seems ready to steal and murder as long as they get some food.

As I stand in front of the door I look for a bell, but as I see none I decide to just knock, not without fear of knocking the whole house down.

'Coming!' I hear from the other side and I smile as I recognize his sweet voice. I hear some scolds as things hit the ground, but within seconds he opens the door and he looks just as sweet as before. His clothes aren't fancy, but from what I've seen here, people must think that he's won the jackpot.

'Good afternoon, sir Donahew.' He says as he steps aside so I can walk in. 'Afternoon Evan Knight.' I am surprised to see the decent looking living room, where there's no sign of how the house looks from the outside whatsoever. I hear the door close behind me and Evan walks until he's in front of me, with his eyes trained on my shoes.

'Do you want something to drink sir Donahew?' Somehow it bothers me that he calls me that, even though so many others do it. I can't help but feel annoyed by the fact that he isn't using my real name.

'You may call me Alexander and I am fine, thank you.' It is hard for me to talk like this, to be formal even though I want the poor lad to feel comfortable while he's clearly not right now.

He tells me I can sit down and I do so without hesitation. He follows immediately and again it's as if he transforms to a whole other person now he's as tall as I am.

'Sir Do- Alexander, can you look around and see what's wrong with the things I have ordered at your company?' His question surprises me and I immediately move my eyes around the room, trying to see what is wrong. Unfortunately the only thing that's out of place is a painting that hangs a bit too much to the left and the soft music that plays on the back ground of some Elvis Presley look-a-like.

'I do not know what you are talking about.' I say as I take one last quick look and he smiles at me reassuringly.

'Exactly,' Evan reacts and I can't help but let him show my confusion.

'Sir Donahew-,' Evan begins, but I cut him off immediately by telling him to call me Alexander.

'Alexander, sorry. I recently ordered this couch that I'm sitting on and I noticed that some compartments were put together the wrong way. And when I decided to tell the guy who put it together he didn't agree.' And then he just stops talking, as if this is the end of the story. The guy from my company didn't agree and that was it, too bad now he had to handle it alone. But the look on his face told me he had something more to tell me, he just couldn't get it out straight away. My eyes widen as he slowly starts unbuttoning his shirt and I immediately blurt something out.

'That's a bit much on our second meeting, don't you think?' My eyes widen as soon as the words leave my mouth, things like this aren't accepted here. Why the hell should I say something like that?

He seems shocked for a mere second before he burst out laughing, his hands clutching his stomach as he leans forward.

'It has been a long time since someone has made a joke like that, but you know it's 2k15 so why not?' I let out a sigh of relieve at his action, but he seems to get serious right away as he unbuttons the rest of his shirt.

I let out a gasp as I see the big bruise covering his lower abandon and he lowers his head in shame.

'I just wanted some help,' Evan says and my heart breaks at the tone of his voice. Almost as if he isn't sure if I'm on his side or not.

I immediately walk forward and take him in my arms without a second thought and that's when he breaks down.

----------

A/N: Don't really know what to say lol...

Please let me know what you think of the story so far?

Words: 1493

~Noortje