Chapter Two - Breakdown

Convivencia:

(n.) lit. "Living together", in the sense of living or working closely with other people with whom you share feelings, desires, or a common purpose.

Chapter Two – Breakdown

----------

It wasn't until the boy had left my office that I finally realized what I had done. Not only had I put off all of my other appointments, I had also promised him that I would come by his house. And all just because he had the face of an angel; sweet and soft.

I don't know why he had affected me so much by just looking at me, but I somehow agreed to him. Never before had I offered someone to come by myself and to see what was wrong with this person's products. And how was I going to tell Charlotte that I was going to be late because of a client that wanted me home. Surely she wouldn't mind it one bit, neither if it was a girl or a guy. But the thought made me uneasy.

Why am I even thinking about this? I'm surrounded by men and women all the time, almost literally 24/7. The clearing of a throat makes me look up at my secretary and I give her an apologetic look as she waves my schedule at me.

'What were you thinking when you threw your whole agenda around so you could go by him yourself, sir?' Her voice sounds patient and understanding as ever and I can't help but give her a cheeky reply.

'You don't work enough Grace, I thought I would make things interesting for you if I canceled everything.' Her only reply is the shake of her head as she walks out of my office with a smile on her face. As if Charlotte knew what was happening my phone rings and I immediately pick it up as I see her name flashing on the screen.

'Good morning sweetheart,' I say to her as I put the phone to my ear.

'Oh Alexander! You will never guess what just happened to me!' Charlotte's voice seems excited and I can just imagine her jumping all over the place.

'I cannot guess it indeed, but I am guessing you're going to tell me, not?' I can almost hear her rolling her eyes and I let out a chuckle as she lets out a frustrated sigh.

'You're so funny.' She mumbles sarcastically, but her mood changes immediately when she starts telling me about what just happened to her.

'My boss just walked into my office, Jared you know, the one with the big nose? Well, he offered me to come with him to a conference in New York.'

I look around my office in confusion, Charlotte has never been one who likes to travel or get away from home.

'How nice sweetie and what did you say?' I try to keep my voice as light as possible, as if I'm not looking anything after her boss's question.

'I said yes. I mean, I don't like travelling, but this is an amazing opportunity. I just wanted to check if it's okay?'

I don't even know how to respond to her, I actually don't want her to go. It will be weird to be alone in the house, while not being able to do anything except from watching TV. Usually I spend my nights with her, playing stupid family games and watching soaps.

'Of course it's okay. It will be great, I am sure of it. When will you be going?' I am surprised by my answer, I don't seem to have a filter today.

'Thank you! Umm, this evening actually and then we'll come back within five days.'

Charlotte seems genuinely happy with this and I wouldn't want to be the one who would ruin it for her. I seriously need to con-sider searching for hobbies though, since I really don't do any-thing with my life