Chapter 9: Roya and Kon

"Damn it! Why do we have to bump into that girl ?" A boy with dark hair and blue eyes said while running towards the water.

"Cool it Roya. We didn't expected someone to be there." The one with blonde curls answered. It wasn't their plan to take refuge toward the woods but they have no other choice. It's their best chance of survival. And surrendering to the soldiers of Duke Toren is not an option. If they did, death would come to them without doubt.

"We need to get these embellishments on Pio's hands fast, unless well get into bigger trouble." Roya said in between gasps. "Pio seems very eager to have these since Ilan died for it".

"And we'll die as well if we won't be able to succeed." Kon, who calmly running, supplied. It's been three days since they got their hands on the items. They stole it from the very mansion of the Duke of Kiri. Though it has been told that no life is spared trough his hands, they undoubtedly presented themselves to Pio when he announces the theft of the jewels to earn such favourable status within the band.

"This place is creepy. I don't like it much here." Kon looked at Roya and found him with a cautious expression which seemed absurd, especially because it is him who is talking. Honestly, Roya is someone who doesn't care much about caution. He is usually impulsive and cheeky.

"That's not what I expected for you to babble about". Kon raised his brow.

" Nah, never mind". Roya paused. "That girl out there. What is she doing here anyway. It is unusual for a little girl like her to be here alone. And she's more creepier that this forest itself." He shuddered.

While Kon is busily concentrating on their escape, Roya is otherwise very chattery which is very frustrating if he was asked. Didn't he have a sense of knowing when and where to be chattery?

"Can you shut up and help me figure out how we'll be able to get back at the camp while successfully losing those despicable guards?" Kon frustratingly panted.

Roya lamely grinned. That's when a spear cut trough his thigh. He screamed a curse before tumbling forward. Kon cursed as well as he glanced back. Three men are on their trail. For a while, he unconsciously quizzed where the other two have been. When he recovered from his thoughts, he rushed to help Roya on his feet. This is bad.

Kon thanked the trees and vines as they hindered the soldiers from speeding up. They're stupid to ride a horse on the woods where walking would have been way faster. Then again, he thanked them for being morons.

Roya, on the other hand, hissed between curses as he limped in pain. The water is their best chance of escape. Horses won't be able to swim.

They heard the soldiers shouted profanities when a horse whined and being tangled into vines. Kon heard Roya chuckle. And before he can stop himself, Kon bashed him on the head. He stared at him questioningly, but Kon just drag him towards the river.

They struggled crossing since Roya wasn't fit to swim. The river was wide and deep and the current was very strong. It is when something slammed against them. They were carried by a sudden rush of water. Roya, unfit to the water, bobbed his head and gasping for air. Water burned his nose and blocked his breathe. He didn't have time to call for help when dizziness came, and he fell unconscious.

Kon watched as Roya slowly fading. He tried to grab him but the unsteadiness of the current prevented him. Still, he didn't let go of the embellishments. He'll be good as dead if it won't reach Pio. A heavy slump rested on her back as he tried to remain afloat.

It was the girl from earlier, he recognized. Even when her eyes closed, she still projects the features of someone who doesn't care about the world. A sack cloth caught his attention. He didn't took notice of it earlier but it was strapped into her thin figure. It must have been of importance that she carried it even in the water. She doesn't look much like the town's people either.