Chapter 23 ~ Races

The race was scheduled for the next night a few towns over. Jack was dressed in casual jeans and fitted white t-shirt that showed off his muscles. I wore a pair of black ripped skinny jeans Henley had picked out while we were in Paris and a grey strappy tank top that showed my belly button piercing.

I was sitting on the floor straightening my hair in front of the large mirror on the wardrobe door when Jack walked in and crouched down behind me.

"Hey" I smiled up at him in the mirror.

His hands wrapped around me and one finger traced over my tummy and poked the sparkly little sunshine on my piercing.

"Hi babe, you look lovely" he complimented. I was wearing darker make up than usual because it was night and usually dark at the races.

"Thanks. Look I know you really wanted to come with me but are you sure?" I asked him.

"Of course, I wouldn't have suggested it if I didn't want to go. Do you not want me there?" He looked down and moved to sit cross legged on the floor beside me.

"Jack, I want you there. I want you by my side while I'm racing" I replied and looked him straight in the eye. I switched off the straighteners and put them back in the heat proof case in a draw.

I crawled into his lap and held his face in my hands.

"You are going to see a different part of me tonight, I just want you to be sure" I told him honestly. He pulled my hands off his face and wrapped them around his neck, he then leaned in a kissed me hard.

"I want to know you Nix, all of you. The person you were, the person you are and the amazing person I know you are going to be. Even if you have to show me a teeny tiny bit at a time" he said sincerely.

I nodded in response and stood up pulling him with me. We grabbed our converse and leather jackets to go.

"What's our cover story?" He asked.

I decided it would be best to keep it a secret from the others. Danny & Henley didn't know I'd been racing anyway so there was no need to worry them. And I most certainly didn't want to tell Merritt because he would only try and stop me from going. I know it's dangerous to go racing, and even more so with Jack because of Andy. But I didn't want to let Jack down. He's been so happy and hyped about it since he found us a race. I felt like telling him no would only make him feel like I was shutting him out.

"We are going out for a meal and then to a bar" I told him.

It was a simple lie that wouldn't raise suspicions.  I grabbed my bag, phone and keys then finally Jacks hand.  The small gesture made him smile like crazy, I could tell he was excited.

"Going anywhere nice?" Danny asked and glanced up at us from the sofa.

"Nah, just getting dinner and a few drinks." Jack replied.

"Don't wait up" I said quickly and dragged Jack out of the flat before Danny could quiz us further on where we were going and what time we would be home.

It was a quiet drive to the location, we were both singing along to an old album from my iPod. I parked in a gap near where the dancing was and stepped out. It was quite busy but I guess it would be easier for me to hide from Andy or his friends.

"So when do we race?" Jack asked, he looked so excited and I loved to see him smile. We leant against the front of my car. I scanned over the cars and the people to see what I was up against.

"I'll go and see who's running the races in a bit, there are some nice cars here" I said pointing out a few. The music was loud so I moved to stand in front of Jack and swayed my hips a little, making him smile.