Chapter 34

After Bandit said her goodbyes to everyone, me and Gerard got on our way to send Bandit to Dr. Death. "I want you to listen to Dr. Death. Do whatever he says and help him out when he needs it." Gerard said when we were outside the building. When Bandit nodded, Gerard opened the door and we walked in.

"Well, if it isn't Party Poison and Neon Lightning!" Dr. Death said in a cheery voice despite everything that is going on. "What can I help you guys with?"

"This is my daughter, Bandit. We need her to stay here since its not safe for her back in the diner."

Dr. Death wheeled his way to us. "Ah, yes. Zone 6 is where most if the Drac activity is happening." He looked up at Gerard. "Don't worry, I'll keep her safe."

Gerard nodded and bent down to put his hands on Bandit's shoulders. "Listen, sweetie. Stay safe for daddy, okay? And remember that I will always love you, no matter how far apart we are." He planted a kiss in her forehead and moved out of the way for me to say my goodbyes.

I crouched down to reach Bandit's hight. We locked eyes and she had tears brimming in hers. I felt my heart twist inside me as I hugged Bandit. "This isn't goodbye forever." I whispered in her ear. "We will see each other again. I'll make sure of that."

Bandit sniffed as I let go and we left after saying some final words to Dr. Death. We walked back to the diner in silence and Gerard slumped down against the wall outside. He had a tear streaming down his face, which made me feel even worse. I sat next to him and rubbed his back, trying to comfort him. "It's going to be okay."

Gerard didn't say anything, but he rested his head on my shoulder. I kissed his hair, trying to let him know that I will always be here for him. "I can't believe I lost her again." He choked.

I started to stroke his hair. "She'll be fine. When this is all over, you'll get to be with her again."

"That's what I'm worried about. What if she's not alive after this? What if we're not alive after this? Will I just be a huge let down to her?"

"Of course not!" I exclaimed. "Did you see Bandit's face when she first saw you in years? That was the happiest I've seen her. And the way she looked at you when you spent time with her. You're the best father she could ever hope for. Don't beat yourself up. Stay strong for her."

Gerard was silent for a minute. Then he embraced me in a hug. "You're right. I'm doing this for her. For her safety and for her life. How do you know all the right words to say?"

"I don't." I admitted. "I'm just telling you the truth and how I feel. You're special, Gee. Don't feel so bad about yourself."

Gerard kissed me. "I'm never going to let anyone take you from me. Ever." He mumered against my lips. He moved his face down and stroked his nose against the crook of my neck. I shivered and put my hand on the back of his head. "We should...take this...inside." I gasped as Gerard started nibbling on my neck.

Gerard looked at me, eyes full of lust. "Definitely."