Chapter Fifteen

In the last thirty minutes, she's edged close enough that the tart, cherry perfume of her breath blows across my face every time she speaks. I'm facing away from the staircase, unaware of anyone entering or leaving the room, and her constant glancing toward that direction is plucking at my curiosity. I felt the urge to check and see if anyone was eavesdropping, but didn't want to seem rude so I kept my focus on her.

Much to my surprise, Daisy was quickly becoming one of my closest friends. She's already squeezed secrets out of me that I haven't even told Kara. For instance, we somehow got onto the subject of high school locker rooms and I spilled my guts to her on a subject I thought I'd never talk about again.

"My history with locker rooms is not a good one," I admit.

Her eyes grow wide and the ever present grin on her face swells. "Spill it."

I shake my head with full knowledge of what I'm doing to myself. The temperature of my cheeks skyrockets as I begin to tell my story. "Well, it was my junior year of high school and after soccer practice one day, after everyone else had gone home, I brought this guy I had been talking to for a while--he was super hot, let me just tell you--into the locker room and we started making out. Like, the really heavy, tongue inside the other's mouth, groping each other all over making out--"

"Oh, yeah. Verbal porn. This is turning me on, keep going," Daisy jokes.

"I'm laying on the floor, he's on top of me, and I'm thinking that we're gonna have sex in the school locker room, so I went to push him onto his back so I'd be on top, but I did it with so much power that I ended up somersaulting over him and crashing into the lockers. I was so embarassed and didn't know what to do after that so I just grabbed my stuff and ran out of the locker room without saying anything!" I laugh behind my hands that cover my face.

"Holy shit, holy shit! You just left him in the girls locker room with a raging boner?!" Daisy gasps for air and clutches onto my arm for support. "Jesus Christ, that is the funniest thing I've heard in a while. Oh my God, I love you!"

"Yeah, yeah. Just don't repeat it," I tell her, thinking of Adam. I know they're good friends, she's even told me so tonight, and I don't need this making it's way to him. God knows what'll happen if it does.

Her eyes, still crinkled from my story, meet mine and she nods. "I won't tell anyone." Parts of her complicated, three-bun hairstyle have started to fall out within her laughing fit, the loose strands tickling her face. One of her hands goes back to push the pieces temporarily into place as she says, "Especially Adam."

I wasn't drinking anything, but if I had been, I surely would've spit it out in that moment. I haven't told a soul about my weird little thing with Adam or the fact that I'm basically fighting an internal war with myself over it. How could she know? Am I making it obvious? Oh, gosh. I'm making it obvious. He's gotta know.

"What?" I nervously chuckle. I'm hoping that my first grade acting skills can get me out of this without revealing myself. She of all people, no matter how friendly we've gotten within the past few moments, cannot know how I feel. As much as I'd like to think she wouldn't, she could tell Adam and ruin it all.

Her body contorts as she bends in a Cirque-Du-Soleil fashion to reach her drink on the coffee table. From the corner of her eye, she looks at me and smirks. "Annie, darling," she acknowledges me by using one of my nicknames I told her about, "you can tell me anything. I already consider you one of my best friends."

The reluctance and disbelief on my face was obvious, I'm sure of it. My suspicion was confirmed when Daisy displayed a look of genuine shock in response to my own expression.