Preface

I dislocated my hip in my junior year of high school and as it turns out, this feeling was much worse.

The pain was all there, ripping me from the inside out, accompanied by nausea constantly making me feel on the verge of vomiting.

My hands grip the edges of the cardboard box containing every gift I've gotten from him and all the clothes I've taken. All the mugs, pictures of us tragically stocked in admirable wood frames, the bundles of dead flowers I've been hoarding, too scared to throw them away, his shirts cautiously folded. It was everything from our year and a half together.

My hair clung to my cheeks, wet with tears. They weren't heartbreak tears, I ran out of those awhile ago. These were filled with rage. Hot, fiery rage.

A soft knock sounded at the door.

"Are you okay?" Kara gingerly questioned.

God, I have heard that question more in the last three days than I ever have in my entire twenty-four years of living of this damned earth.

The last thread that was holding my facade together was plucked and I lost it.

I lifted the box in my hands which felt feather light and threw it against a wall.

A wail tore through my throat, leaving it raw and my ears ringing.

The sound of the glass breaking against the plaster on encouraged me to start a fire with the shattered pieces of our memories.