Chapter Twelve

I dart into the employee break room, heading for my phone that's charging in a corner. Eager much? I criticize myself as I snatch my phone up, almost dropping it in the process. A smile spreads across my face when I see a text from him. We've been chatting back and forth for the last couple of days and while proving difficult, I have managed to somewhat reign in my feelings, though every once some would escape.

When do you get done working? He asked. I check the time stamp that tells me he sent the text nearly half an hour ago.

One o'clock. I type back hastily, not wanting to lose this conversation with him. Definitely too eager. . . I set my phone back into it's previous spot and reluctantly make my way back to my job. As much as I totally would have waited for him to respond back, not matter how long it took, I had to go back into main dining and check on all the guests. Tonight was unusually busy, probably not the best night to be constantly checking my phone in the back and ignoring all the people. Somehow I was managing to do both without being yelled at.

"How ya doin'?" I ask the new girl,  Lauren, who's standing a fair distance away from all the people. Her softly curled blonde hair nearly whips in the face as she turned to face me with wide eyes.

"I'm. . .doing," she tells me with a weak, non-reassuring smile. The pearly white teeth that flash from behind her plump, pink lips are almost the same shade as her alabaster skin.

Lauren, along with being my new co-worker, is also Micheal's niece. He's assigned me the the duty of training her in and he couldn't have picked a worse night to be her first in the job. It's obvious she was overwhelmed  by the crowded tables and waiters darting in front of her with full platters of food every minute.

I turn to her and flash a warm, grin. "It gets easier, trust me. Are you ready to do some rounds by yourself?" She answers with a hesitant nod. "Alright,  go ahead," I prod. Really, I was supposed to go with her, and I prayed she wouldn't mention that I didn't to Michael, not that he'd be harsh on me, but I felt an urgent need to check my phone like a privileged thirteen year old.

Her heels click softy as she makes her way into the chaotic dining hall with a terrified smile plastered on her face. She takes the time to glance back at me every few seconds, making sure she's doing well. I give her an enthusiastic thumbs up and cheesy grin and she returns to the guests.

I anxiously look at the clock hanging on a wall. It's been ten minutes since I texted him and he's bound to have at least seen it by now, at least, if he's at home doing nothing like he said he was. My nerves kick up a notch as I think of what else he could be doing to occupy his time. Or who else. . .

My eyes are locked intently on Lauren, waiting for what seems like hours just for her to turn the corner out of sight. Quickly, I dart to the break room, praying I didn't bump into anyone. With all the unexpected running I've been doing tonight, I'm thankful I was too lazy to put on heels.

My place at two? I have Bark Thins and Candyland. . .😉 Adam questions.  My heart soars and my cheeks tense into an unbreakable smile after reading his words.

I begin to type a confirmation but thoughts rush into my head. What about clothes? Am I going to wear this expensive dress to his house? And what about my promise to myself? Could I keep it if I kept seeing him like this?

My thumbs pad across the screen. I don't have anything to change into.
Almost immediately he responds,  which sparks a flame of hope that I extinguish with doubtful pessimism.

I have more than one t-shirt, you know, he hints. Plus a surprise for you when you get here at two. See you then.

My cheeks flame with a feeling I can't explain. I wanted to leave now, to get over to his house now, and laugh with him. I wanted to hear his laugh and see his smile right now. But I still had almost two hours left and Lauren couldn't handle this crowd by herself.

Lauren! I don't know how long I've been in here but it's probably too long. I feel awful that I've basically left her to fend for herself in the sea of snobby upper class New Yorkers and I promise to myself that I would do a much better job next time I worked with her. Another promise you won't keep.  I lay my phone back down and turn to sprint back into main dining.

"Ah!" I squeal as I ram into someone. I hadn't even taken two steps yet when I feel wetness seep through the thin, light green material of my dress and my brain goes into panic mode.

"Shoot!" Another voice shouts at the same time I do. My eyes shift up from the ever-so-quickly-spreading dark spot on my skirt to meet the unnecessarily terrified expression of Lauren.