1.22.5 | Perfect Illusion + Old Friends

Zacznij od początku

The more she talked, the better I understood.

She must have noticed the realization dawning over me. "Arnav...?"

"I didn't think she had it." I spoke out loud, more like talking to myself as my arms uncrossed from being defensively across my chest and came to rest on top of the table. "Or that she'd keep it."

She questioned for the sake of it, already having the answer. "Do you know Khushi from before?" When I didn't answer right away, she pressed. "Arnav, please. I'm your sister and you know I've never thought of you as just my cousin. You're more than a brother to me. Haven't I earned your trust by now that you tell me your secrets?"

I sighed trying to make her understand, "It's not about having my trust, Kripa. If I don't tell you something, then it's because I don't want you to have to know the horrors of this world. I'm just trying to protect you from it."

She argued not feeling the same way, "I don't need to be protected, Arnav! I'm not a naïve child anymore. My perfect illusion broke the night I saw Khushi like that... and the next day when she told me she was assaulted. I don't live under a rock, you know? Stop trying to keep me there!"

I searched her eyes for the longest. I couldn't keep her away from all of this despite my efforts. Was I ready to lose her altogether simply because I wanted to continue to try and protect her innocence? The answer wasn't hard to come to. No. I did everything for those I cared for. If, at the end of it all, I didn't have them, what would it all be for?

"Yes," I gave her the answers she was looking for and quickly added, "But she doesn't know that. And don't tell her."

She didn't say it but her smile at first expressed how it assured her that I chose to open up to her about this. Then, when I added the later, she asked in confusion. "Why?"

"Just... it's all in the past."

She reached for my hand to gently squeeze and asked to get to the bottom of my reason, "What is it?"

My shoulders dragged, muscles releasing tension from the feelings I held back usually. "I'm not proud of what I did." I admitted not meeting her eyes not wanting to see judgement in them. "I didn't know her. She was just... I just left her at the hospital. I didn't stay to make sure if she survived." I exhaled a heavy burden, "I left her there. I didn't want to do anything with her life."

She stood up to stand by my chair and brought my head to her stomach, hugging me assuring me otherwise. "You don't have to feel guilty, bhai. You did a lot more than someone else might have. You got her to the hospital and that's one more than someone else. You did something and I know Khushi would understand why you didn't stay."

I touched her arm to express my appreciation for what she was trying to do but it was not easy to convince one's heart and be rid of regret and guilt. I left for I didn't want to get involved. Aarav was only weeks old and I couldn't bring that back in our lives. Just, back then, I had no idea it would come back to make a presence in my life. I had no idea how important Khushi would become to me.

Pulling back, I pleaded. "Promise me, you won't tell her. Let her move on from her past... from me."

"But Arnav," she tried to argue taking her seat again.

I firmly shook my head, "I mean it, Kripa. Don't make me regret telling you this."

She sighed, stuck between her friendship for Khushi and her love for her brother. I did feel a lot closer to Kripa sharing this part with her than I ever did before and I don't want to lose that. "I won't tell her but are you really going to let her go?"