Chapter 60:Plagued

Start from the beginning

The old man calmly opened the mouth, showing the ruin inside."...Killed by Famine Incarnate. He was made to eat his own tongue, poor fellow. Choked before he could bleed out." He looked at Guiltare."...That was but four of them. There are ten in all at their camp. I know not the powers of the others, but rest assured, their might is nothing to scoff at...My advice? Forget your companion, survive to make others. Their kind have plagued us at the request of our lords since any of us can remember, and they can not be beaten."

Guiltare sighed."...Ten, you say? Does that include the Vengeance Incarnate, Kaurren Byrn?"

The old man shuddered."Afraid I do." He replied.

Guiltare made for the door, on the verge of retching."...Rejoice then. He is dead, as is their Famine. They are but eight now."

The old man blinked in surprise, following Guiltare out."Your band killed t..." He smiled."...Do you need any supplies?" He offered.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Guiltare sighed to herself, looking at the new wagon that accompanied their warband. She shook her head."...Not sure what good it will do us." She commented."Nothing to turn it to flour with, nothing to mix with the flour to make dough, nothing that could reasonably cook any dough."

Giles shrugged."Ah, well...Morz said der's an old Pyrinzan recipe. Jus' flatten da dough out, see, an' cover it in veggies'n meat/ Cook it fer a bit...Might be nice ta give't a try, eh?"

Morz scoffed."Still no way to get dough." He reminded."And besides, the ingredients would go much more efficiently towards a casserole, as there would be less reliance upon the yeast to-"

Vaussten walked ahead slightly as Morz engaged Giles in yet another culinary debate."Geez...All these years, and I've never gotten him to talk so much."

Guiltare nodded a bit."Odd, I agree...But, it only makes sense. He just wants to take care of Narra. What he's used to doing..."

She frowned to herself. She'd not thought it was Narra, even for a moment, but she'd never stopped to think of who would frame her. Morz had always been protective of her, and had always been vehement of the danger the journey would pose. Had he...

Vaussten gestured to the wagon and shrugged."Eh, well...Thought that counts, I guess." He replied.

Guiltare snapped out of her trance."Hmm? Ah, yes, I suppose so." She glanced back at Morz, still engaged in debate with Giles."...Could he have..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Do you remember that bird your father had?" Reba asked, looking at Av'rasca. He still had a glum expression on his face, but had been more receptive to speaking with his mother.

"Hmm...I think I do. Pattern, wasn't it?" He replied.

She laughed."Mhm, 'Precious Pattern', he always called it...To be honest, I always kind of hated it."

He frowned at that."Eh? Why's that?" He asked.

She chuckled."Well, I liked to draw him...could never get it quite right. And, it would always fly off for no good reason. I honestly think he just didn't like that Rasca had married me."

He frowned."...It was a bird, mother."

She shrugged."A smart one." She replied."Heck, one time-"

Av'rasca stopped suddenly, sniffing the air."Huh...odd scent...Almost like raisins." He frowned, then shook his head, moving to lean against a tree."You were say-Oof!"

Reba quickly shoved him back towards the lines of troop."Stop the column! Back, get back! Further than that, you numbskulls now!"

Av'rasca sat up, glaring."What'd you do that for, are you cr-" He trailed off, noticing the tree.