Chapter 39:Reba

The air was full of sweet smells as spring was in full bloom. Bees buzzed around from flower to flower, and songbirds chirped loudly for all to hear. Blossoms fell from trees, and were blown by the wind to swirl around the woman standing there. She had a smile on her face as she stood, etching images onto a piece of scrap paper.

She focused on a bird, tiny, but with unusually brilliant plumage for these parts, orange with red-tipped wings and a lemon-yellow beak, hooked down to just centimeters away from the splotchy mix of all three colors on his chest.

She held her thumb next to it, to check the scale of size, then worked a bit more, drawing the rings upon his legs. She held up the picture, then grinned."Hehe! And just like that, Mr.Bird, you're a star! Not bad, if I do say so myself!" The bird looked over, head tilted, then squawked and flew towards her.

She blinked, then saw as it flew above her, perching on the shoulder of a Deena man behind her."Aw, precious little Pattern." He cooed, patting the bird's head and nodding, seeming oblivious to Reba's presence.

She frowned."Uh....Pardon me."

The Deena looked over, seeming surprised."Ah, A woman I see. This far out in the woods?"

She nodded."My warband's nearby." She explained."We're stopping for a bit." This answer was both to be polite and to dissuade any violence from the newcomer.

At the moment, Black Griffin was a group of perhaps forty or so men of varying skill and were poorly armed, but 'warband' made them sound more menacing.

He smiled."A warband, you say? Splendid! I am in need of a new place in which to ply my trade! 'Tis a truly fortunate event indeed, for-"

The woman frowned."Uh...pardon me, why are you talking like that? You sound like a herald from some Sawalnish fairy-tale."

He frowned."....Is not this the natural tone and inflection of the humans? I was lead to-"

Reba shook her head."No, just talk like I am please, you're giving me a headache."

He sighed in relief."Oh thank the gods, talking like that was going to drive me insane...In any case, this warband...you hiring?"

Reba hesitated."...I can show you the way there, but...No promises."

He nodded in agreement."Only fair...mind if I get your name?" She nodded."Rebanada...though a few people've started calling me 'Willow'."

He smiled, saluting."An honor, lady Rebanada. I am named Av'rasca."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Though it took time for the Deena man to adjust to life in the warband, the strict schedule, constant training, and oppressionistic attitude of Guilta, but he proved himself a capable warrior.

Reba, as the healer, was usually loathe to make any strong connections with the common soldiers, for it would impact her judgement in battle when trying to save lives. But, with this man...his skill was so great, the armor he wore so strong despite its age, that she felt it would be safe, that she would never have to heal him or worry after his health.

She talked with him, showed him her drawings, let him marvel in what she could do with her powers. In return, she would always listen to the stories of his city."It's not all meatheads with big swords over there." He explained once."There are markets, full of fish from our seas, a whole street dedicated to statues of our past kings, and....believe it or not, an artist's district! Some skill there, but...no women, they do not allow it. You must see it one day, you could easily put them to shame."

She smiled."I'd like that."

Some time after this, he came to her again, seeming distraught."My...we may have a problem." He said.