Max has been off since he killed Inali. It is to be expected, since killing people tends to destroy you. His body was an earthquake, skin cracking like glass windows, knees buckling like telephone poles (thin and wobbly), tears like a broken damn.

Most people don't become killers after they've killed someone else. Here you've got two options: numb yourself to the pain, or give into it. Johnny and I took the first root, and look where that got us. Max seems to be taking the later, even if he's pretending he isn't.

I wish I wasn't a killer. Regret is not an emotion I'm used to, but as I watch the fire flicker in Max's eyes, I can't help but wonder if he is following me. He can't do that to himself; he's too innocent. When I first got here I was just as innocent as him though. Where have I come? And how do I get home?

Two other boys come up, the ones I don't know. One has light skin and jet black hair and the other has curly, short black hair and dark lips to match. Their final friend doesn't seem to be anywhere in sight. Maybe he isn't there friend at all, just an acquaintance.

The light skinned boy moves up, tracing his hand through the fire. His sleeve ignites, and he stumbles backwards, whipping himself away from the heat. What an idiot.

The darker boy laughs at the misfortune of his friend. It's more cruel than funny, but I can't help but smirk as well.

"Like you're any better." The light-skinned boy scoffs.

The dark skinned boy laugh whole heartedly. "Believe me, I am."

Gregory smiles at the two. "You both are ridiculous."

From the way he carries himself to the dirty on his shoes, Gregory has changed. When I first met him I described him as being only slightly off. Nose a little crooked, buttons not up right, a couple fly away hairs. But here and now, he looks regal. His nails are clean, and his hair perfectly parted; something about Gregory has changed.

He's gone from the lackey to the boy in charge, and the thought sends fear through my body. Gregory is many things, the biggest of which is scary. Unlike Keaton, he has no primary motivations other than murder. He wants to be on the top, not out of fear but out of greedy.

I can't kill him, because it'll incite riot amongst his supporters. The conspirators taught me many things, but the biggest is to take out an army before you take out the king.

Gregory clears his throat as he leans across his knees. "Max is in."

Shit.

"Keep your voice down." The dark-skinned boy hisses.

"Spencer," the lighter boy warns.

"I don't care that this isn't my plan." His name must be Spencer. "Unless we want the whole island waking up, we aren't talking about this. Especially not while we are all together like this. That's just asking for trouble."

Gregory is the first to stand up. "Fine then. I'll keep you posted."

He moves off before casting a glance back. "And Oil, zip up your pants. Seriously."

"It's Oliver." I hear the boy mutter beneath his breath, as he does as he's told.

Oliver seems like an idiot, which at least is going to work in my favour. Spencer however, seems cold and calculating. Maybe I won't need to kill them after all, since they don't seem to be all that loyal to Gregory in any case.

That also saves me the trouble of killing Max. That's something I'd like to avoid at pretty much all costs. Whatever is going on still doesn't seem like his idea.