ch. 12 || fond

XII. fond

▬▬▬

[Thalia's POV]

I'm not quite sure who was more surprised; Zayn, or me.
But his words of kindness struck a chord in my heart and I became even more fond of him.
His words proved to me that love was possible, and that perhaps I liked him, too.

In fact, I knew I liked him.

Inching towards him from my safe place in the doorway, I wondered, had I not come back upon his mum's request, would I have ever come back?
Zayn and I stared at each other in concentrated silence, neither one of us knowing what to say or do.
Trisha sighed, "For the love of God, just talk."
I blushed as Trisha left me alone in the kitchen with him.

Making the first move, I looked up at him apprehensively and said, "I'm sorry I made you angry."
"I'm sorry I pushed you too far." He responded.
The atmosphere was becoming warmer; more comfortable and less ice-like.
Zayn stepped forward and his arms encircled my waist. I hugged back, and the electricity of his touch suddenly became apparent to me.

"I have missed you." I stressed the second word, looking into his eyes. "I'm myself when I'm around you; even if myself isn't your typical, normal girl."
He perused my face and shrugged, "I don't want a typical, normal girl. Everything you do is unique, and I'm drawn to you."
A tear slipped down my cheek unknowingly, until Zayn swiped it away.
"Please don't try to be anyone you're not." He warned, and it was all the encouragement I needed to wrap my arms around the back of his neck and press my lips to his.

Zayn murmured something and lifted me up, wrapping my legs around his waist and putting me on top of the kitchen island. "You. Are. Beautiful." He then took my hand and guided it to his chest. "Feel that? My heart beats faster when I'm with you."
Beneath the cotton of his shirt, I could feel his heart beating a frantic rhythm against his chest.

His warm scent wrapped around me like a blanket, and I smiled inwardly. "I think, if I try harder, maybe our deal could...work."
Zayn looked at me the same time I did him, and a beam lifted his face. "I'd love to try again. I think I'm falling for you."
...and I for you, I thought in my head.

I loved every waking moment with him; I loved how charming and handsome he was; I loved how he made me feel like, for once, I fit in. But I'd never tell him.

Breaking the silence, Zayn chuckled. "You have the most amazing ideas. I mean, the flowers thing? Brilliant."
I beamed, "You think?"
He nodded and, once again, a pull of electricity made me wonder if anything could get better than this.