Chapter 3

What is this band and why do they look so familiar?  I turn to the person next to me, “hey what band is this?”  She looked at me like I was crazy. 

“One Direction!  Haven’t you heard of them?  They are English.”  Well that explains it.  I don’t like to keep up-to-date on things over there because it only causes heartache for me.

“Um, no.  Should I?”

“Yes!  They are major hot and famous!”

“Well, it’s not the fame that counts, it’s the heart,” I say sincerely.

I take another sip of my beer and watch them perform.  They are really good!  The guy wearing red below the knee shorts and a striped shirt with brown shaggy hair, reminds me of Louis from years ago.  It seems like they all remind me of someone. 

I swipe at the tears that slide down my face and run off to sit on the shore.  “It’s not them, it’s not them,” I repeat over and over again to myself.

Louis’s Point of View

We finished the songs and went to grab a water.  “Was it me or did someone look really familiar in the crowd?”

“Which one,” Liam asks.

“The one that ran off.  She was in the front.  Ruffly bikini; pink.”

“Yeah, she reminded me of that girl that ran off to somewhere in America,” Harry said and grabbed a beer.

“Yeah. . .is she okay?  I loved her. . . .”

“I know, I’m sorry,” Zayn said and went to go talk to the girls and party.

“I think I’m going to go talk to her.  She doesn’t look to good and looks sad.  I can’t see someone who looks some much like Rae to be sad.”

“Maybe one day, you’ll find her again, Lou,” Liam said smiling.

“Maybe. . . .”

I walked barefoot over to her and tried to make it obvious that I was going over there.  She had her head resting on her knees and was looking at the ocean.  She took a gulp of her beer and wiped away at her tears.  How does she look some much like her?!

“Nice day,” Someone says and sits beside me.  She jumps and a smile spreads across my face.  I remember how I used to always sneak up on Rae when we were younger.  She would usually try to slap me on my chest. 

“Yeah it is.”

“You know, you remind me of someone I was really close to back home.”

“Yeah, you remind me of someone too. . . .”

We sat there in silence and she took another gulp of her beer.  I looked at her and studied her.  Her cellphone rang and she answered quickly.  “Hey Aunt Maria, when are you coming back tonight,” she asked hopeful.  Rae used to talk about Maria all the time.  I met her a couple of times and she was cool.

“Rae, I’m so sorry, but I can’t be home until late tonight.”  I could hear through the phone and that’s when it hit me.  Rae, Maria, America. 

“Rae,” I asked shyly and unsure.

She looked at me hard and then her eyes softened.  “Um, Aunt Maria, I’ll see you later tonight.”

“Rae, is that really you?”

“L-Louis?”  Tears came to her eyes and she dropped her beer, hugging me in a suffocating hug.  I wrapped my arms tightly around her, never wanting to let go.