Chapter 14

My dad dropped me off at Shawn's hotel around nine am on Sunday. Shawn met me in the lobby, he had just checked out of the hotel right before I arrived.

We went to my favorite café located on Main street. We had bagels and muffins with our caffe latte's. It wasn't just the food and coffee that made it my favorite café, but I also enjoy the comfortable atmosphere. I love that the café is decorated in a unique modern style.The walls are painted a mixture of sage green, cocoa brown, and tuscan red. The walls are also decorated with a few pieces of colorful abstract expressionism art. In the middle of the floor are chestnut brown tables with black wooden chairs that have red padded leather seats. Sitting plush against the front wall of windows are two leather black sofas and a burgundy leather chair. A chestnut brown coffee table sits in the middle, and it's covered with up-to-date magazines.  

At first we ate mostly in silence. I wanted to know what was going through his mind. Did he regret coming here and spending time with me?

"I can see why you like this place. It's very colorful," Shawn told me toward the end of our meal. "And you're right, the coffee is great."

"Yeah, I don't get to come here as often as I'd like."

"Why not?"

"I can't really afford it."

"Would you like to go for a walk?" He asked me randomly.

I took him to the city park, which isn't far from the café. At first, we walked mostly in silence. I could tell that something was weighing heavily on his mind.

"Are you okay?" I asked sincerely.

"I'll try to get back here to visit you as soon as I can, but I'm not sure when that will be yet."

I'm sure that my expression turned sad, because sad was how I felt at that moment. "Please don't make promises you can't keep," I begged.

He immediately stopped walking and stood facing me. I stopped with him. "I promise you that I will come back, I just can't promise you when. I need to know if you're willing to wait  for me."

I could feel the threat of tears sting the back of my eyes. "How could a relationship work when the couple don't see each other ninety-eight percent of the time? Plus, I don't even know where our relationship is going."

The next thing  I know, Shawn is kissing me. He kissed me more passionately than I have ever felt. My body tingled from my head to my toes. I didn't want our kiss to end, but he slowly pulled away from me, leaving me breathless.

"I believe anything is possible if two people really and truly care about each other," he said softly.

I nodded slowly. "Okay, I'll wait for you."

I let Shawn drive me home as promised. He had me wait in the car so he could open the door for me. What a gentleman.

I got out of the car and just stood there. I wasn't sure what I should do. Should I just say goodbye and then walk away? But then he helped me out by speaking first.

"I'll call you soon okay," he promised.

"Okay."

"I've got to get to the airport."

"Okay," I repeated. I wasn't sure what else to say. I wanted to tell him how I truly felt, that I wanted a relationship with him, but being apart for so long might drive me insane.

He surprised me again, for the second time today, when his lips met mine. This kiss lasted much longer, and he deepened the kiss, making my whole body heat up like a raging wildfire. No one has ever made me feel such intense passion before.

He put his hand gently on my cheek and used his thumb to wipe away a stray tear. I hadn't even realized I was crying.

"See you later Alyssa Thompson," he told me softly.

"See you later," I whispered.

I watched intently as he got back into the rental car and drove away.

***

On Monday morning, I had just got out of the shower when I heard my cell phone ringing in my bedroom. I threw on my robe and ran across the hallway to my bedroom. My caller ID showed it was Jennifer.

"Hey Jen."

"Hey. Have you seen any news this morning?" She asked.

My heart dropped at her question. When I hear the word 'news' I feel that it's usually associated with something bad. "No, why?"

"Pull up your internet and go to Entertainment news," she ordered.

I did as she said, and I saw the picture she was wanting me to see. There was a picture of me and Shawn in the movie theater. He was holding my hand, and we were both smiling. We looked happy.

A very short paragraph under the picture read: Does Shawn Mendes have a new girlfriend, and who is this new mystery girl he spent the weekend with?

"Did you find it?" Jen asked anxiously.

"Yeah, this is bad. This is very bad," I told her.

"Why is it bad?"

"Because I'm afraid this may shatter, whatever it is, that he and I have together."