Two

Maria was awoken the next morning by a small child sat on top of her, tugging at her hair and jumping up and down on her chest.

“Susie,” she grumbled, “what are you doing? Go back to bed-” Maria’s eyes snapped open. What time was it? Her gaze shot away from her daughter to land on the clock. The red numbers, designed to be easy on the eyes were suddenly burning in realization. It was 8 in the morning. They were late.

“Alright Susie, are you dressed?” she looked up at the girl who was still sat on her chest, making it rather difficult to breathe. Susie was wearing a purple frilly skirt and a lime green monster shirt, an outfit clearly chosen by the girl. It would do, Maria reasoned as she lifted the girl off of her and sprung out of bed. Susie getting to school on time greatly overshadowed Maria getting to work on time, for Maria didn’t have to be there until 9:15 at the latest. She rushed into the kitchen, Suzy trailing behind her as she pulled out a granola bar, and shoved it into Susie’s hands.

“Eat.” she urged, before sprinting over to the table and shoving her folder back into the backpack. Susie finished the granola bar, walking over to place the wrapper in the garbage.

“Go, brush your teeth. Quickly Susie, we’re running late.” Maria urged, pulling on a bra and throwing her hair up into a disastrous ponytail. Susie ran to the bathroom, reemerging a minute later wearing orange rainboots. Maria sighed, but at least Susie had the sense to dress herself.

She urged Susie out the door, barely remembering her backpack and rushing to the car. She buckled Susie up, hopping in the front of the car and pulling out of the parking lot of the apartment complexes. She took care to not drive recklessly, but still did not waste time. Susie was quiet on the ride there, understanding the gravity of the situation. She pulled into the school barely fifteen minutes late, and sighed. It could have been worse, she thought, as she ushered Susie into the office to sign a late slip. Susie looked up at her mother.

“Mommy, I don’t think that I know where to go exactly.” she explained worriedly, her brow furrowed in thought.

“C’mon Susie, you’ve been at the school for almost half a year. I think you can find the way to your class.” Maria explained, glancing at the clock. She really didn’t have the time to waste walking her down the kindergarten hall, even if it meant seeing Miss Schuyler again. Susie’s lower lip trembled, and Maria could see that if she didn’t help her daughter down the hallway, the tears would begin and everyone, including the woman at the front desk who was currently staring daggers into Maria’s side, would have their day off to an even worse start.

“I don’t know if I can, baby-” Maria began, looking questioningly at the woman.

“Go ahead.” she responded gruffly, looking away from Maria and turning back to her computer. Maria sighed in relief and took the child’s hand, exiting the office and starting to walk down the deathly quiet halls.

“Mommy?” Susie asked, tugging at her hand and looking up at Maria.

“Yeah?” Maria asked, not slowing as they continued down the halls.

“I can actually find my classroom just fine. I just thought you wanted to see Miss Schuyler again.” Susie admitted, beginning to skip down the hall. Maria blushed, her gut twisting as they turned onto the kindergarten hall.

“You know you don’t have to do that, sweetie. If you could find the room on your own you should’ve just gone by yourself.” Maria muttered, the blush becoming more and more prominent as they neared the room.

“I know Mommy. I just like the lollipops.” she said, stopping at Miss Schuyler’s door. Maria almost stopped completely after hearing this. Susie must have finally connected the dots, as the very reason Maria ever gave Susie candy was whenever she got in trouble and Maria had to come in and talk to her teacher.