Doppelganger: Chapter Six

CHAPTER SIX

When I got home, I cradled the folder of divorce papers. I was very hesitant as I walked through the front door.

"What is that?" Maia asked when I ran into her at the bottom of the staircase.

"Homework," I lied.

"You really expect me to believe that?"

"Maia, where's mom?" I asked.

"She's in the backyard, having some wine."

"She's drinking?"

Maia shrugged. "She's just sitting there. She's been sitting there for a couple hours."

I squeezed the divorce folder.

"But for real, what is in there?" Maia asked.

"Don't be too shocked," I warned.

"Oh no, don't say it."

"They're divorce papers."

"Dad wants a divorce?" Maia sat down on the last step of the staircase.

"I was with Torrie, and Laura showed up out of nowhere—like she always does—and she asked me to give them to Mom."

"Why does Laura get everything, and we get everything taken away?" Maia sighed.

"I don't know. I don't know why any of this had to happen. But, I read some of the papers earlier. And...Dad apparently wants to file for full custody."

"He's going to take us away from Mom?" Maia screamed, jumping up from her seat. "He can't do that! And knowing that Mom's a complete nutcase right now, we'll have to live with him and stupid Laura and their stupid baby!"

"I was thinking the same," I solemnly agreed.

"This isn't fair!" Maia was outraged and grabbed the folder from me.

"Maia, give it back."

"No," she huffed and headed for the backyard.

I ran after her, trying to grab the papers, but she bolted outside. Mom was sitting on a lawn chair with a wine bottle in her hand and shards of a broken wine glass on the ground next to her.

"Mom," Maia stated.

"What?" she asked, while taking a swig from her bottle.

"Look," Maia said, placing the folder in Mom's lap.

I stood in the doorway and just watched. What more could I say?

"What is this? Did you get expelled? What did you do?" Mom asked, opening the folders.

"They're divorce papers."'

"Div--what?" Mom filed through the folder, having trouble reading because she was buzzed.

"Laura asked me to give them to you," I explained.

"Anybody have a pen?"

"Mom, no, you can't sign those papers," Maia argued.

"I've been thinking all day," Mom said, drinking more wine. "I'm tired. I'm tired of pretending like your father is going to come back."