Doppelganger: Chapter Five

CHAPTER FIVE

Maia decided to spend the afternoon at a friend's house, so Torrie and I decided to hang out at a downtown bakery after school.

I continuously flipped through Being Doubled and I was beginning to develop massive anxiety and a huge headache.

"Ava, you need to calm down," Torrie advised, "I know it's easier said than done, but you have to."

I groaned, "For my own insanity. I know, I know."

"I think we've all passed over the bridge of sanity, honestly."

"Torrie, what am I supposed to do? Call me morbid, but I feel like someone's going to die...if all of this doppelganger stuff is real."

"You don't know that for sure," she told me.

"This book, though. It's fucking me up. It's so screwy; everything is screwy."

"What does the end say?" Torrie wondered, pulling out her copy of the book.

"I've been too afraid to read the last chapter. Even the title is scary. The End to a Double," I admitted.

"Better to be informed," she said.

The End to a Double

Stories of doppelgangers have been surfacing throughout history. In worst case scenarios, any encounter with your double results in illness or death. My encounters with my doppelganger allowed me a freedom. It was a type of freedom to be the evil side of me. My double manifested the things I wish I could do, but was too conscious of. I am afraid and guilt-fearing by nature. I'd like to consider myself as a good person, but I'd be lying if I said that I didn't want to do some horrible things sometimes. I'd like to believe that my doppelganger freed me from being such a worrisome person. However, everything that happened had its consequences. Karma targeted the people who needed it. However, what were the repercussions of these actions? Surely, I'd be the one to pay. So, day by day, I wait, until—

Excerpt written by Westford Halston: Author, Scottie Williams, never was able to completely finish his work of art—his warning to the rest of us mere mortals. A week before his manuscript was due for editing and publishing, his lifeless body was found in his home. Natural causes were stated as the reasoning behind his death. However, if you've learned anything from this book, there are other plausible reasons that were never considered--because, as stated before, we as humans are simply not ready to know such things. Dear reader, may your life not meet such a twisted fate. Bless your soul; you may need it. Caution shall be your new virtue.

It has been a pleasure to complete Mr. Williams' work.

With all due respect,

W. Halston

**

"Greeeeaaat, that didn't help at all," Torrie complained.

"This book is under the fiction section of genres, right?"

"For your sake, I'm hoping it's fiction. But then, how are we supposed to explain the birth of Ava 2.0?"

"This A2 persona will ruin my life if it pops up again," I said.

"Hey, look who wrote this book, Scottie Williams—do you think he's related to our teacher?"

"Dale Williams; Scottie Williams—let me look it up," I said, relying on Google for the umpteenth time during my life.

"Um, Dale Williams...LinkedIn, Facebook, Paranormal Guild of Believers—" I trailed off and clicked on the last link.

"Is he part of a cult?" Torrie narrowed her eyes, observing the website.

Scottie Williams, the founder of the Paranormal Guild of Believers, is known to be an enthusiast of all things out-of-this-world. His brother, Dale Williams, strongly opposes his views, causing a rift in the Williams clan. However, Scottie has quite the following. Considering his prominent written works and upcoming projects, many fanatics are lining up to join his organization that meets up once a year to embark on paranormal journeys.

His motto is "Blood may be thicker than water, but the mysteries we have yet to understand overpower any family. Blood or not, we are in this together."

**

"This guy sounds like a whacko," Torrie said, "And now I'm confused as to why Mr. Williams is so into this stuff now. If according to the website, he opposed it."

"Maybe he had a change of heart when his brother passed away," I stated.

"But what does this mean for us?" she asked. "For you, for your family. Just—what's in store? How are we supposed to fix this?"

"You're starting to believe—and I mean really believe, aren't you?" I raised my eyebrows.

"I have to; I don't want my best friend to die," Torrie replied.

"Oh, why, thank you," I said.

"Any time," she laughed a bit, lightening up the mood.

"Ava, darling," a voice sang from behind.

"Incoming," Torrie warned me.

Laura scooted into the booth next to me, as if she were openly invited to our table.

"Why do you show up everywhere?" I mumbled.

"Ava, love—"

"Cut to the chase. You know we're not on good terms. What do you want?" I asked.

"Well, when you put it that way, I have something for your mother. I was headed to your house, but as timing would have it, you're here. You could save me a trip," she said. She slammed a folder full of papers onto the table.

"What's that, your will?" Torrie joked.

"No—but it might as well be your mother's," Laura said, smirking at me.

"You are—"

"Shh—hush now, child. Just do as asked. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need a drink," Laura walked off to go stand in the bakery line.

I opened the folder to reveal divorce papers—on my parents' anniversary nonetheless. I glared at Laura, who was chuckling to herself.