DOPPELGANGER: PROLOGUE

PROLOGUE

Foreshadowing? A harbinger of bad luck? Hallucination? An out-of-body experience? Perceive the situation in any form you wish, but you're still going to end up with the same conclusion. All of this was fucked up.

I observed the likeness of the creature that stood in front of me. I still hadn't decided if I wanted to refer to it as a human. It stared at me, smirking, as I circled around its body, observing every inch of the living nightmare in my presence.

"Why? How—this isn't real; this can't be real."

"Are you suggesting I'm simply a figment of your imagination?"

"I'm hoping you are."

It leaned closer to my face and uttered, "Boo!" It laughed at me, mocking me, as I took a couple steps back.

"You're afraid, aren't you?" it asked me.

It chuckled and placed a hand on my cheek. It sure felt real. I froze as its cold fingers lingered on my skin. I was too afraid to move. What if it decided to attack me? What if it tried to eat me? What if it suddenly decided to cut my cheek open and then gauge my eyeballs out?

"Indeed, you're very afraid," it said.

"Am I going to die?" I asked.

"Not today," it simply stated. It pulled back its hand and started twisting a strand of hair around its pointer finger like a flirty preteen.

"What the hell are you?"

"Isn't it obvious?" It turned me around to face my vanity mirror. I stood next to it, and we both stared at our reflections.

"Are you a clone?" I asked.

"Close, but no," it replied, "There's only one word for me."

"What? A psycho?"

It widened its evil grin and said, "Doppelganger."