"Rough day?" He asked, pouring my shot as well as sliding a beer over to me.

"You could say that." I murmured. I quickly grabbed the shot glass and tilted it back. The tequila burned my throat but in a weird way it was a satisfying burn. Not even glancing at the lemon the bartender had sat beside it, I reached for my beer. I wasn't going to get drunk tonight but a slight buzz would be nice.

"My name is Adam, what's yours?" Of course he wants to make conversation. But seeing as I was the only on this side of the bar and the only one not shit faced, I can see why he'd want to talk to me.

"Jessie." I nodded at him in greeting.

"Must have been a shitty day to be here drinking on a Monday night." Adam commented.

"A shitty year actually." I muttered under my breath. Or life. I inwardly said.

"What was that?"

"Just needed a drink." I said, taking a long pull from my beer. The alcohol was slowly seeping into my blood stream and soon I would be more relaxed.

"Not the first person. Guy over there," He pointed over to the far corner of the bar where an older gentlemen was sitting with ten empty shot glasses in front of him. "Apparently his wife just left him for a younger guy. Or that guy," He gestured with his head to another guy who sat by himself in a corner table. "I think he just lost his job."

I just stared at him silently wondering what his point was. I could care less about other people at the moment.

"So being a bartender you learn all the dirty secrets huh." I commented.

"Of course. People tend to tell us bartenders about their lives and more."

"Like hair dressers." He sent me a grin but shook his head.

"No, we are way better than hair dressers. Do you see people with problems going to get their hair done? No they want alcohol." I nodded agreeing with him on that one. Alcohol was the best thing to drink as you wallow in self pity.

"So what is your story?" Adam asked, leaning against the bar, a towel draped across his shoulder.

"I'm not drunk enough to spill all my secrets, bar boy."

"We will have to remedy that." He smirked at me but all I did was roll my eyes. I don't get drunk but he doesn't know that.

We lapsed into silence the only sound was the clinking of glasses and a few hushed voices. I did come here to drink alone but now that Adam was talking to me my planned changed.

"So what made you become a bartender?" I asked suddenly. It was nice talking to someone that didn't involve killing or threatening. Just a normal conversation for once.

"I'm suppose to spill my secrets first?"

"Yep." I smirked back at him while slowly sipping my beer.

"I just work here so I can help pay for school."

"What school do you go to?" Back before I came who I am today I had big plans for my future. I was going to graduate high school with perfect grades so I could get a scholarship to a fancy school somewhere. I wanted to get away from New York and start fresh but that of course didn't work out. My dreams of being something big went down the drain when I turned 15.

"I go to NYU." I raised an eyebrow at that. It was a good school but everyone always went there. "Don't give me that look. I know it is a popular school to go to but I got in and got a few scholarships so I went."

"Not judging." I said, but sent him a half smile.

"Where did you go than Miss-NYU-is-too-good-for-me?" He asked, leaning the on the counter towards me.