Wattpad Original
There are 6 more free parts

Chapter 1...

"A hazelnut latte?" A girls voice asked above me. 

Glancing up at her I nodded as she set my coffee in front of me. I turned away from her retreating form to look out at the busy street. Currently I was sitting in a secluded corner of a small cafe, waiting for a certain client to meet me here. Underneath the table laid my hand gun ready if the man wants to try anything. I have had times where clients decide they do not want to pay and tried shooting me, which of course did not work out for them.

My green contact lens took in the bustling sidewalk. There were a mix of nicely dressed people heading to work and tourist looking people. You could tell the tourist from locals with their camera's and phone's out taking pictures of anything and everything. Different accents and languages could be heard as they talked loudly over the traffic.

I felt both angry and jealous of their ignorance of the world. They all walked around not knowing that in an instant someone could kill them in a blink of an eye and not care. They could be wiped out in a second but were ignorant as they bustled along to get wherever they needed. 

I was jealous that I wasn't like them. No, I was nothing like them, I knew of the monsters that hid in the dark. I knew of the dangers that would happen even if you didn't want them to. I knew that once you were touched by darkness you cannot get out of it. Gone is the ignorance and innocence.

"Ms. Mathews?" Snapping my gaze away from the street I made eye contact with a the man I was suppose to met here. The man was in his late 40's and I could see his beer gut through his dress shirt. He had an ugly comb over which did little to nothing to cover his bald spot.

"Mr. Cannon." I greeted but made no move to stand up and greet him. I stayed seated keeping my gaze on him. My eyes took him in looking for a gun he may have and when I didn't see one I inwardly sighed in relief. Even though he didn't have a gun in plain sight I kept mine pointed at him under the table.

The big man lowered himself into the seat, his beady eyes staring at me as I didn't move an inch. When dealing with business you can never let your guard slip or you may end up dead. I learned that years ago and it has saved me multiple times. If the person had no idea what you were thinking the less likely they were to try something.

"I want proof." Mr. Cannon said. I could see a small bead of sweat trickling down the side of his face. I inwardly smiled at the fact that he was scared of me. As he should be. 

"Are you questioning my work?" I asked, raising an eyebrow. He gulped before shaking his head quickly.

"N-No. I just want to make sure it is done." He stuttered out.

I stared at him wondering why he paid to have his friend killed. Sure I found out his friend was sleeping with his wife but it still baffled me as to why he would want to kill him. Mr. Cannon could have easily left his wife but apparently he didn't realize that. In my line of work I could not voice my own opinions on the matter but it didn't stop me from wondering silently.

Mr. Cannon took my silence to mean something else for he quickly pulled out an envelope filled with cash and passed it over to me across the table. His hands were shaking as I grabbed it. I knew that the entire amount was there so I didn't waste anytime counting it. No one would be stupid to cross me. 

With my business done here I slid my gun in the waist band of jeans and the money in my bag. Standing up I looked down at him. I grabbed my coffee not wanting to waste my money that I spent on it, plus I needed as much caffeine as I could.

"Just know it's done." Was all I said before turning and leaving the cafe. Not glancing back I dodged around people as they entered the place and headed out in the crowded sidewalk.