Two

The two boys walked out. But once Sonic made it past those doors, he quickly made his way to the large stone fountain in the middle of his Mother's rose garden. He peered into it and looked at his reflection. He looked at how blue his hedgehog fur was and his green eyes. A crown set  upon his head. He looked too his side when he heard a hum, seeing Lance. He never got how the other could be serious, smart, funny, stealthy, kind, loyal and a great friend all at once. When he actually tried, he only made a large ruckus. Lancelot was a hedgehog himself but he was mostly black besides his red stripes and ruby eyes. Sonic could look into them all day but also couldn't with how they still held a fierce gaze he couldn't hold. They had been friends all their lives and best friends for that matter. Shadow was learning to become a knight. He was taught by many, even his own Father yet Shadow just continued to finish his learnings early, that's how he had had so many mentors that he ran out. Everyone had taught Shadow and all thought he was destined to be great. With that, and being close to the Prince, Shadow was somewhat in charge and placed as Sonic's personal knight.
Sonic hadn't realized he was staring until Shadow playfully flicked his ear. "You're staring Sonic." Lance announced. "How did you know? We're you staring at me too? I knew I was good looking and all, but you can't even keep your eyes off me?" Sonic asked laughing as Lance chuckled. "For your information, I was not. I asked you a question and  looked up from the corner of my eyes to see you staring at me." Lancelot informed, crossing his arms over his chest. "Sorry, just thinking. What did you ask?" The Prince questioned. "I asked what you wanted to do." With a nod, Sonic looked around with a hum. "We can -!" "No racing, last time we destroyed a lot of things." Sonic just huffed and walked to sit under a large tree to shade him as Lance leaned against it. Sonic looked at the ground in thought. He remembered one night long ago when he and Shadow were out after dinner, talking as they lounged under the same tree. Lancelot had said that he should be called Sonic instead of Maurice since it went with his unnatural ability. That's when the blue hedgehog also named the other Shadow, for his fur. While Maurice stayed with Sonic because he enjoyed the name and insisted he be called that. While the name Shadow was only used that one time and forgotten since he never made anyone call him that. Another flick of the ear and Sonic looked. "I don't know Shads, what do you think?" Lance only raised a brow in question but went along with it. "I don't know. Something safe yet interesting that won't get us in trouble." Shadow shrugged. "What about --?" Stopped once again when the other shook his head. "No sword fighting. I said safe and approved." Lancelot said. "You know me so well. Then we can't do anything now can we?" The Prince questioned, looking up the black hedgehog with a smile as if he'd just outsmarted him. "Sonic, there's still many things left to do. Like walking, reading, talking, going back to the meeting, crafting, tending the garden, doing your work for lessons, or just laying about." Lance said, shrugging himself as he did it rarely. "See! You don't even know!" Sonic said, pointing a finger at him before sitting up. "How long have we been out here? It feels like only ten minutes and now it feels like we'll just stay out here almost all day." Sonic complained. "Just about half an hour, Sonic. It would've been ten but you kept spacing out." Lancelot said. "How come you're still Lance but I'm Sonic?" The Prince asked. "Because you're royalty and what you say, goes. Also, you practically forced everyone to call you Sonic and it started catching on as it matched you. I never really brought it up and neither did you." The black before said, looking up at the sky. Sonic hummed before shrugging. "Okay then. I'll start calling you by that. You fine with it, Shadow?" The blue hedgie questioned, leaning into the other who chuckled. "Whatever you say, Prince." "Sonic." The other corrected and earned another chuckle. "Told you. Force people to call you that, and as royalty says, goes."