The Sorting

It was their first year at Hogwarts and they were all buzzing with excitement. Three boys in particular most certainly were.

The first was Enjolras; a long-blond haired boy, with startling blue eyes, who cared for little except from the well-being of his country and nothing else.

Along with him, was Courfeyrac; a curly-brunet boy and a promising player - who had already declared to his parents (much to their displeasure) that he'll forever remain a bachelor.

Then finally, there was Combeferre; he had sandy-blond hair who was incredibly bookish and serious, especially at his age.

The boys were all from pureblood families and had decided to occupy a sort of empty compartment on the Hogwarts express along with some loner girl who had her nose buried in The Changes from Human to Vampire: book 4 by Vladimir Astraukas but the boys didn't take any notice of this.

"Who do you reckon she is?" Combeferre whispered.

"I don't know, but she can't be pureblood because - one, we'd know her and two, she'd know people," Courfeyrac yawned. The girl looked up from her book and narrowed her eyes at them, but didn't say anything. "Do you reckon she can hear us?" Courfeyrac asked.

"Yes, I think she can hear us," Enjolras whispered. They looked out of the window and a few awkward moments passed by.

"Who are you exactly?" Courfeyrac asked as the train came into the station. The girl smirked and scoffed.

"Why do you need to know that? You'll find out at the sorting anyway," the girl murmured. A second year with black curly hair walked in and the girl looked up again. "Hey, R."

"Hey-" R stopped himself before going on and looked at the other boys. "You don't mind do you?"

"Actually I would prefer if-" Enjolras began.

"You thought I cared?" R said and rolled his eyes. "I'm Grantaire, and how many times do I have to tell you not to call me that, I only sign my name like that?" The girl smirked at his comment, stood up and walked out of the carriage with him.

"Could they be related?" Enjolras asked frowning. Combeferre shrugged, but Courfeyrac sighed and rolled his eyes at his friends.

"Puh-lease, don't you know the Grantaire family? They all use dark magic and they don't have a daughter, only one son. One alcoholic and sarcastic son," Courfeyrac stated. He grabbed his bag - and owl - and flounced out, acting the drama queen, as he knew something Combeferre didn't.

"First years, over 'ere," a booming voice called and they recognised it as Hagrid's.

Hagrid was a giant of a man who had an incredibly bushy beard and hair to match. Hagrid was well known to all Wizarding families who had gone to Hogwarts and was talked about a lot, although personal opinions varied about the half giant.

The boys walked over to him and got in one of the boats. They noticed the girl in the boat next to them, with a greasy haired boy and a ginger haired girl. Courfeyrac waved at her and she waved back with a sarcastic air. Courfeyrac looked unimpressed and leant back against the boat as it began to move.

"Courfeyrac, no!" Enjolras shouted but it was too late. Courfeyrac had tipped the boat and they all fell in. Hagrid pulled the boat back, catching Combeferre in it, before pulling Enjolras and Courfeyrac out of the lake and back in the boat.

"I hate you," Enjolras hissed.

"Just something you'll have to live with," Courfeyrac muttered, shivering. The journey took a while longer, but soon they arrived at Hogwarts.