Part 9 - Meeting a Goddess

BUCKY POV

His throat was already burning by the time he reached the clearing where she was standing her eyes challenging his every move. They urged him on, challenging him to either give chase or give up. However, giving up was not in him. Gritting his teeth, he stands up tall and forces himself to accept her challenge. With what looked like a smirk she turned and ran from him again. Taking a deep breath, he quickly gave chase behind her.

His mind was racing. What was he to do when he actually caught up with her? She wasn't herself, she was blinded by primal instinct. As she ran ahead of him he heard the sound of water and his eyes drift from her to the sight of the waterfall a few hundred feet in front of her. The scenery itself was breathtaking. If the circumstances had been different he would have stopped to enjoy the scenery, but now was not the time.

His eyes refocus on the beautiful creature in front of him as she slides to a stop to stare at the water. He stops a few feet behind her curious as to why she had stopped. "Kitty?" He says making her eyes snap to him. They narrow as if to judge him before she turns toward him and placing a hand on her hip says, "ỉr ntk nefer n mr mj dpt?"

"I don't understand?" Bucky replies unaware of what language she was speaking. Kitty sighs and furrows her brows as she replies, "Do you wish to love this vessel?"

"Love?" He says in shock unsure of how to respond.

"You humans are so indecisive." She scoffs and Bucky narrows his eyes at her.

"Who are you?" He asks even though he has an inclination as to who it is.

"You mortals once called me 'Baast' I am the goddess of warfare, Goddess of cats, protection, joy, dance, music, family, and love." She pauses as she closes the distance between the two of them. When she is a few inches from him her eyes look him up and down before staring angrily into his eyes. "You are known to this vessel as The Winter Soldier, or Bucky, as she remembers."

"My name is James Buchannan Barnes, but yes; I used to be the assassin known to the world as The Winter Soldier. My friends call me Bucky."

"Hmm," She cocks an eyebrow as she walks around him her eyes looking him up and down sizing him up. "I have three questions I ask all the attempted suitors of my vessels. Three simple questions that will decide whether I allow you to be her mate or not. If you fail to answer even one correctly, you will lose her forever." Baast says as she comes to stand in front of him. He gulps down a breath of air.

Could he live without Kitty? If he answered even one question wrong, he would never be able to see her again. The more he thought about it, the more the idea tore at his heart. He cared dearly about Kitty; but was it love? Love or not he knew he couldn't live without knowing she was safe. The sudden thought of her with another man made his blood run hot. Was he jealous of something that hadn't even happened yet?

Taking a deep breath, he rolls his shoulders as he says, "I don't know if I am even worthy to stay by her side, but I know that I want too."

"I take it you wish to answer my questions then?" She asks and he nods. "Very well then, let us begin. I hope you know that I will be able to tell if you are being truthful or if you are just telling me what I wish to hear. My first question is simple; why do you wish to remain by her side?"

"Kitty, knows all I have ever done. All the death and destruction I have brought to this world and all that I would have if not for her and my friends. She cares for me more than I do myself. I may not know what my feelings exactly are for her but all I do know is that I don't want to lose her. I need her." He answers his eyes turnings soft at the thought of being with her forever.