Part 6 ~ Finding Kitty

Reader's POV

I lie on the roof of my parent's two storied house in my panther form as the sun shines down upon my fur. I purr at the warm feeling of freedom and happiness. I hear my mother inside cooking a roast for dinner as my father flipped through the pages of an old book. Kei was off on a business trip, which he tended to do often since I had returned. Something told me he was avoiding me but I just pushed the feeling aside. If he had a problem with me he would tell me. Eventually. I smile as the sounds of Marcus playing the piano fills the air.

When I returned I had learned that all of my brothers had gone off and made something of themselves. Kei was a genius engineer, Marcus was a musical prodigy, and Raven was one of the most highly revered soldiers. Where did that leave me? Of course my parent's had told me that me being able to change into a panther was something special in itself I was still feeling a little insecure. Sitting up I let out a yawn before I quickly climb back into my bedroom through my open window. Once inside I quickly change back into a human and start to put clothes on. Once I am fully dressed a familiar scent fills my senses and my heart starts to race in my chest.

He's here.

I rush over to the window and taking a big whiff I also smell Natasha, Captain Rogers, and Sam Wilson. Not able to contain my excitement I jump out the window and rush into the woods heading straight for the source of the scent. As I near it I slow down and stealthily start to stalk them.

"How much farther do you think it is?" Captain Rogers asks as sweat drops down his face.

"The coordinates say about another mile." Natasha replies looking down at her phone. "You okay Barnes?"

"Yeah," My friend replies and I tilt my head. Did he remember who he was? "Just don't know if she'll be happy to see me. We don't exactly have the best history."

"Well maybe you should ask her?" Natasha says coming to a full stop as her head turns to my direction.

"What do you-" Sam asks but is instantly cut off as I walk out onto the pathway. "Mean... Oh, well, nice to see you again."

"Likewise Sam," I reply as come to a complete stop a few feet from them. My eyes flitter between each of them before they land on my friend. The instant our eyes meet he closes the distance between us and wraps his arms around me tightly. My eyes widen at his sudden movement as I hold my hands out unsure of what to do. He was different. His scent was different. His need for the truth had left his scent leaving a warm relaxing aroma.

"I was worried about you." He whispers his voice inches from my ear making me relax into his arms. As if it was a reflex my arms instantly wrapped around him and hold him tight.

"I'm okay," I say as I reach up and gently smooth his hair back.

"I'm sorry, I left." He says and I furrow my brows as I pull away.

"You didn't leave, well you did; but you never left me. You got out. You needed to find yourself and from what I can see," I glance past him to Captain Rogers before I continue, "You did." I smell a familiar scent and I turn to see Marcus walking out of the woods behind me and I smile, "I found my family," Marcus walks up beside me as he cautiously watches the rest of my friends companions. "Marcus, it's alright. This is the friend I was telling you about, the one who helped me." I say as I point at my friend.

"Uh James Barnes, but everyone calls me Bucky." My friend, who I just learned was named Bucky, says as he holds his hand out to my older brother. Marcus's Emerald eyes glance at the metal arm before he nods and taking Bucky's hand says, "Thank you for watching out for her, when you could, on behalf of my family we are very grateful." I sense a hidden animosity in his voice and I narrow my eyes at him.