Part 4 ~ Freedom Isn't Free

I stare out the window of Pierce's office towards the water below. Why was I even here? Why had Pierce kept me after HYDRA had finished all their tests? Furrowing my brow my eyes glance up at the scenery. "Grass and trees as far as the eyes can see." I say softly as I remember my friend's words. All the sudden a faint vision like memory pops into my mind and I look around to see the familiar business office melt away leaving me standing in what looked like a forest. Trees towered over me with branches so long and plentiful of leaves that they blocked out almost all the sunlight.

Where am I? Why does this feel... familiar?

Looking around I spot a worn out path and suddenly feel myself drawn to it. My legs move reflexively as they carry me down the path. My senses become overwhelmed by the familiar scents and sights making my heart race in my chest. The wind blows by carrying upon it the sounds of children laughing. Tilting my head I follow their happy voices until I come to a clearing where a giant two storied house stands hidden amongst the trees. Something about it scratches at my memory making my heart clench.

"Kei! Bring your brothers and sister in for dinner please!" I hear a familiar woman's voice call out and I turn to see her standing in the doorway of the large home her long chocolate brown hair flowing in the breeze.

"Coming!" I hear a young male voice call and I turn to see three little boys followed by a little girl rushing toward the house. As my eyes land on the little girl my eyes widen. It was me. I looked to be about five years old, but it was still me.

"Momma!" The younger version of myself cries out as she holds her arms out to the woman.

Mom...

I stare wide eyed at the woman as her identity sinks in. She was my mother. I had a mother. Tears fill my eyes as I stare at my family. I not only had a mother but I also had three brothers. As my eyes fall upon the oldest it all starts to come back to me. His long raven hair and gold eyes cause my heart to clench.

Kei...

My eyes move to the second son and a soft smile covers my lips. His emerald eyes the spitting image of our mothers along with his wavy chocolate hair that reached down to his shoulders.

Marcus...

The youngest boy had one gold eye and one emerald his hair a mixture of black and chocolate perfectly framed his young innocent face.

Raven...

I reach my hand out to them only to instantly be brought back to Pierce's office as someone clears their throat. Startled I snap toward them to see Pierce walking inside with Rollins as well as some members of the council. "Everything ready Kitten?" He asks and I nod as I force my emotions aside. I would most likely never see them again, but now that I knew that I had family it made me feel a little better to remember them.

"Yes sir, we're all set." I reply as I place my hands neatly in front of me. I smell a familiar scent and my eyes stealthily glance at the councilwoman.

Natasha?

I feel someone's eyes on me and I instantly look back toward Pierce. If she was here and impersonating the councilwoman then she had gotten free of HYDRA and that meant that Captain Rogers was out there too. Were they planning to somehow sabotage Project Insight? That had to be it. As if to answer my question Captain Rogers's voice rings out through the intercom.

"Attention, all SHIELD agents. This is Steve Rogers. You've heard a lot about me over the last few days, some of you were even ordered to hunt me down. Bu I think it's time you know the truth. SHIELD is not what we thought it was, it's been taken over by HYDRA. Alexander Pierce is their leader. The STRIKE and Insight crew are HYDRA as well. I don't know how many more, but I know they're in the building. They could be standing right next to you. They almost have what they want; absolute control. The shot Nick Fury and it won't end there. If you launch those Helicarriers today, HYDRA will be able to kill anyone that stands in their way, unless we stop them. I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not."