Chapter 99

I woke with a sharp gasp and my eyes snapped open, blazing in a fearful grey hue. A thin sheen of sweat covered my skin and my heart hammered painfully against my chest. I knew what had scared me. A dream. But the memory of that dream was fading away, leaving a blank void behind. All I knew is that it had terrified me and left a cold hand of fear clutching at my throat. It reminded me of the premonitions I had, those magic dreams that left me shaking and scared.

I closed my eyes and breathed out heavily, trying to calm my heart and pressed myself into Grigore's chest. His warmth and scent was comforting. Nothing could hurt me while he was there.

The last of the dream fluttered away, taking the fear with it, leaving me breathing heavily in the tiny room. Suddenly I felt tired and it was then I realised it was still dark outside. The room was barely alight from the tiny ward that spun on the locked door and no sunlight shone through the moth eaten cloth covering the grimy windows. While my eyes were sore, my body felt vaguely awake and the sound of movement rattled about the creaking inn. It couldn't be too early, the sun rose so late now. I hoped so as I didn't want to sleep, not daring to after a faceless premonition.

I wiggled closer to Grigore, rubbing my head against his chin and kissing his throat softly, listening to him breathe evenly and feeling his strength surround me. He seemed peaceful, his arm surrounding my waist but I knew he was alert, I could feel it in his body, how his muscles were taught and his magic shifted. If anything disturbed my Weaver, he would be up like a shot with Ursus unsheathed as if he hadn't been sleeping at all.

I smiled happily when I felt Grigore pull me closer, cradling me against the wall of his chest, his song stroking me sleepily. The action made me swell with affection. Even though I had known about his love for me for over a month, I still felt the reality of it hitting me now and then, swamping me with joy and contentment. He loved me. Grigore wanted me by his side.

Smiling stupidly, I nuzzled the hair on his chest, tracing the muscles lining his arm, loving the feel of how rough and firm he was and tangling my magic with his. But in doing so slowly poked my lust for him. The more I felt him and drank him in as he slept, the more I wanted him. It burned in the pit of my stomach and flowed with my magic, making me hot and flushed. With a growing throb between my legs, I kissed his skin softly and let my fingers explore him, trying to coax him awake with my taste and touch, just as there was a yell behind the door.

In one rapid movement, Grigore's eyes snapped open and he was on his feet, Ursus drawn and his magic growling protectively. The howl died down into a hiss as voices rumbled. I pushed myself onto my knees, snatching the blanket to myself protectively as my magic reached for Grigore, stroking him with reassurance. A moment later, someone knocked on the door.

"Weaver, we want to talk to you." A man said stiffly

"Who does? I don't take kindly to people attempting to barge into my room while I sleep." Grigore snarled in response as he stepped forward, leaning against the door with wards flashing.

There was a quick succession of hushed words and the man spoke again. "I'm sorry about that Weaver. Toma gets a bit...ahead of himself when he is given a task. But we need you Weaver. Our head man, Emil, needs to talk to you."

Grigore gaze flickered to me as he frowned in annoyance. There was only one reason someone would be this keen to see Grigore, a stranger. That would be to hire him. Apparently the waitress had passed on what she had seen Grigore doing to Emil.

Grigore sighed and lowered Ursus. "Give me a moment."

"As you wish."

"Sorin is going to have to be put on hold again, isn't he?" I said unhappily as I watched him sheath Ursus and begin to dress.