Chapter 17

I wandered up the main road and smiled in relief when I saw the houses in the distance. The sun was lowering fast, lengthening the shadows and stained the sky. Night would soon be here. The air was becoming colder and a thin mist was beginning to form just shy of the earth. Crows and blackbirds screamed in the woods, the only thing I could hear alongside the sound of my boots scraping against the road and the small rocks I kicked as I walked.

I shivered lightly and rubbed my arms hard in an attempt to keep myself warm, inhaling the cold air. It stank of moss, dead leaves and recent rains but Grigore was still there, his sweet taste guiding me onwards, warming me slightly and keeping the anxiety at bay. I was still on track.

As I drew closer to the village, my magic began to stir. It wasn't frightened or alarming me, simply curious. It could feel something here but couldn't work out whether or not it was a threat. It alerted me all the same and left me wondering why this place was feared and how, if the driver had been telling the truth, it was haunted. I kept close tabs of my magic, deciding to skirt around it if the curiosity shifted into terror, but wanting to give it a chance as dusk thickened. After all, not all stories and rumours of monsters were true. Some places were just feared due to men or old stories of monsters long dead. I hoped this place just held some nasty history, not a live monster.

I edged myself closer to the first couple of houses. They were small and thatched, much like my hut, but they were far sturdier. Unlike my home town though, with its high walls and clustered buildings, these houses were scattered about with a fair distance between each other and were few in number. They had their own small gardens, filled with vegetable patches swelling with pumpkins, marrows and tomatoes, and some had chicken coops or a small goat pen.

My magic was quiet as I wandered further in, watching this supposedly haunted village with a cautious gaze. No one was outside so far, having retired to the warmth and light of their homes, until I walked pasted the third house.

A small boy was sitting on the steps of his home, poking the ground half-heartedly with a stick. When he saw me however, his interest was perked up but not in a good way. I swore a look of horror dawned over his face and his skin paled.

The boy looked wildly back into the open door behind him where a warm golden glow emitted and the sound of children shouting seeped out. Once he felt it was safe, he dropped the stick and leapt onto his feet, tearing across the path to where I was. I hadn't gone too far. My pace had slowed considerably when my eyes met his alarmed gaze.

"You!" He called as he skidded to a stop in front of me. "You're not staying here, are you?"

I paused, a little surprised by the genuine worry he showed. "I can't travel on the road when it's dark. Monsters are more active during that time."

"There's another town west. Follow this road and go there."

"How long is the walk?"

"Maybe three hours." He said with begrudging honestly.

I frowned and looked up at the sky. It was practically black now. If it wasn't for the thin strips of sunlight and the lamps littering the road, I would be blind. Walking to that town at this time was out of the question.

"I can't. I must stay here." I said.

"No!"

"Why?"

He looked flustered for a moment. 

"The inn is full." He blurted out. "So you can't stay. You have to move on."

I didn't know the child but I knew he was lying to me. I was a little confused as to why he wanted me to leave so desperately. My magic detected no threat and the village appeared normal enough. Was this place haunted as the driver said?

The boy stiffened when a shrill voice called to him from within the house.

"Gerald!" A woman called. "Where are you?"

Gerald glanced up at me with fear then back at the house. His shoulders sagged when he saw a thin stick like woman step out onto the steps and with sharp looking face. She noticed me instantly and a smile instantly took over her scowl. I watched her as she began to make her way towards me, but only for a moment when Gerald tugged at my sleeve to get my attention.

"Don't eat anything they give you, you hear?" He demanded in a hoarse whisper.

I furrowed my eyebrows in bewilderment but nodded my head all the same at the earnest tone his voice had taken. I looked up when the woman drew closer.

"I'm sorry, stranger." His mother said as she came to stand before us. "Is my son bothering you?"

Her fingers touched his hair and instantly he hopped away from me, standing close to her obediently.

"No, he isn't. He only told me the inn is full so I can't stay here."

A strange look flashed over her features but it had come and gone so quickly I didn't have time to pick up what it was. 

"He is right, the inn is full, but there is one place you can stay if you wish. I would offer you my own home but my house is small enough as it is with the amount of children I have."

"If you can point me in the right direction, I would be grateful. I'll be gone early in the morning."

"Of course." The woman said with a soft smile. "Just follow the main road until you're on the other side of the village. You'll see a thin path leading east. At the end is the house of our healer. She'll have a spare bed for you."

My smile was thin and confused when my eyes caught hold of the wide eyed stare Gerald gave his mother. It was one of horror.

"Thank you for your help." I told the woman uncertainly.

She smiled. "Goodnight, stranger."

My smile still remained hesitant as I turned and began to walk onwards. I went quite a distance before I turned to look back. The woman and child were still there, watching. Their expressions differed however. While Gerald retained his guarded and fearful expression, the woman appeared happy, joyful even.

My magic remained calm as I looked forward at the dark trees clawing at the sky. Nothing stirred ahead nor did anything appear threatening but I felt a little unsettled now. Both the driver and the boy warned me of this place, while my magic only remained curious, nothing more. I glanced up. Night had just about stolen the sky altogether, making me more aware of the dangers of the road. Worst monsters came out at night and I was on foot with no horse to try and outrun danger. I was torn. I didn't know what was best; putting myself out in the wild where I'd be eaten in my sleep, or remaining here when my gut told me no.

Unsure about my decision, I chose to follow the road to the healer's hut. I'd talk with her, decide for myself if she was a threat or not, and just hope I survived the night.