Chapter 95

A female screamed in agony as fire burst a gaping wound in her stomach. She clawed at it, tearing at the flesh in an attempt to put the fire out but it only got worse. It soon enveloped her, cooking her flesh hungrily. She was the third one Remus had taken down now and the room now stank of blood and burnt flesh.

I kept low, keeping to the shadows, my eyes flicking and observing every movement and growing increasingly concerned how I'd been thrown in the deep end. They moved so far, slipping from fluid movements to jerking steps, able to halt their speed in an instant only to start up again. I didn't understand how Remus could keep up.

The male had stayed back, letting the females get in their attacks before waiting for Remus to be open. When Olive dived in, avoiding his sword and swiping at Remus' face, the male tore forward, teeth bared. His thick black claws sunk deeply into Remus' shoulders and for a moment he held the Weaver still, letting Olive try for the throat. But Remus was strong, much stronger than the young male. A ward was weaved rapidly and he shoved his open palm onto Olive's eyes when she came close, letting out a burst of light.

As Olive reeled back, hissing and spitting venomously with Mary rushing to her, Remus readjusted his grip on his sword just as the male roared in rage and attempted to sink his ugly ragged teeth into his neck. The flaming blade was swung over Remus' shoulder and the male tore himself away, barely missing the unnatural flames that danced over the sword.

As the male retreated, Olive and Mary dived in. They paired together, working to get Remus on the defensive. Even though Remus was fighting his own nieces his face was focused and grim with determination. He evaded one and slashed at the other, not letting them have too much of an opening to get to him.

But while this was happening with the male watching and prowling, another sister slunk around, edging their way closer to me having decided to focus on me, the little bleeding mouse in the corner. She was smiling viciously with her ugly mouth split open, baring her teeth at me. Panicked, I bit my lip and rose, trying to stand as confidently as I could as I faced death. There was no way I'd could fight her. 

"Remus!" I shouted in warning, praying he meant what he said about keeping me alive.

He glanced at my direction and his eyes saw the lone female. He roared in rage, grabbing Mary's wrist when she attempted to claw his arm. Her eyes widened in fear but Remus simply wrenched her forward and tossed her away. She sailed fast and rolled on the floor, dazed. Olive was now alone and she tried to avoid the sword but found she wasn't quick enough. Without pausing, Remus stepped forward and rammed his sword into her stomach. Instantly the fire swamped her and an unnatural agonised scream tore from her mouth.

I took a swipe at the female, my brow furrowed and my song beginning to growl with a mix of fear and desperation to survive, but she only danced away, twittering with a little laugh I hated. She was mocking me. It made me flush, knowing she was right. I was no threat. It angered me so much. 

Still burning and skewered, Remus turned on the female who was goading me. He charged, roaring like an enraged bull, and impaled the wall, stone cracking beneath steel. The sister scrabbled away from me, intending to flee, but Remus was screaming for blood. He tugged his sword out, ignoring the thump of Olive's body as she came free, and drew more wards, sticking them to the red blade then raised his sword sharply, sending out a blast of fire that engulfed her. She rolled about, tearing at her face and pulling at her hair as her body burned and shriveled.

Remus turned calmly on the male and the last two sisters, sobriety rising in him and making him more of a threat, his anger more focused and less volatile. "You three are the only ones left. I'm nearly done, then that wolf will have no choice but to crawl out of his hole."