IX // The Ballroom

Zander looks between me and the other young man once more, then flashes a winning smile. "Absolutely," he tells the guy.

Before he hands me off he whispers to me again, "I'll be watching you."

Under any other circumstances, that would have been a very creepy statement, I'll admit. But right now it was the assurance I needed to follow through with this. I think some of Zander's confidence has rubbed off on me, and I feel a floating smile ease onto my face. "What is your name, babe?" the guy asks me.

"Lisa," I lie.

He places his hand on my lower back and leads me to the dance floor. "I'm Sebastian. The host's son. So, if you need anything - I'm the guy to ask." He winks at me suggestively and I try my best not to grimace.

"Well, we've gotten along quite fine so far," I tell him, trying to remind him that I had a 'boyfriend'. A stand in one anyway. He nods accepting my response and steps rhythmically - dancing. My right hand is held in his as we dance slowly, and I can feel my palm sweating. That is so not attractive. He spins me around and the long straight skirt of my dress flies around me, baring most of my legs. He pulls me back in tight.

"You have exquisite beauty, my dear. Does your boy-toy tell you that often?" he questions with a deep voice. He was trying to sound intimidating and it was working. I'm not sure if I find comfort in the fact that Zander is watching me anymore. I shake my head at his question.

"I can't say that he does," I say faking confidence.

He looks at me in shock. "That is a shame, darling. I would." His hand slips even lower down my back and we are chest to chest. I do not like this. It feels wrong. This boy is certainly good-looking, but I feel nothing towards him. I quickly stop myself from mentally comparing how different I would feel if it were Zander in front of me.

The music stops, thank god, and I gracefully excuse myself to use the washroom. Or else I think it was gracefull. I hustle to the corridor on the other side of the ballroom that I think leads to a coat room. I don't need the washroom, I just need time to catch my breath. I stop in the corridor in front of a floor-to-ceiling mirror. I never actually got a full look at myself. I am utterly surprised. My hair looks great, my red lips and dark eyes stand out, and my gown accentuates my body in just the right spots. I couldn't have picked a better dress if I had shopped all day for it. "You do look gorgeous, you know," Zander's voice startles me.

So I guess the comment earlier was just for the act, after all. But this one wasn't.

I fight the blush rising to my cheeks. "Thanks. I'm just glad it's at least a tiny bit believable I could be with someone as dashing as you," I tease him.

He chuckles. That sound echoes through the hall. He doesn't dare argue with me on that one. The lucky idiot knows he's gorgeous.

"I'm sorry if I flopped our chance with the 'host's sons'. I kind of ran away," I apologize.

"Nah. It's okay. You'll go back out there with me, he'll get jealous, he'll snatch you away, and take you upstairs. I'll get into Alexander's office." He explains the plan as if it were fun and easy. It most certainly was not.

"Nuh-uh."

"Yes."

"Why can't we both just go upstairs? Without involving the creeper," I whine.

He considers it but then shakes his head. "It will be easier to convince them if I get caught that I was looking for my lady who I saw being led upstairs. Either way, it's risky," he explains.

I understood. We had a mission. But that would not stop me from being scared of this guy. "What if he tries something on me?" I ask.

"He already has."