XV // Skirts & Surprises

I few threads of remaining fear still dangle over me in my sleep from almost dying, but I am nearly over it. Last night my nightmares didn't even include Sebastian's bloody face and dying body, like they had been lately. It's been a few days since that night in the dark of the mansion, and since then I have mostly spent my days in bed healing from the blows I took and gave. I'm definitely not used to battle. The boys obviously are, however, and they watched TV most of the time. At least, as far as I knew because I was sleeping.

Today, though, I was finally well enough to get out of the hotel room. We are being tourists today.

Zander is never more than five feet away from my side, and that helps. It really does. I would like to think that I can fend for myself in this twisted mess, but I know I can't. I think I've come to terms with the idea that I need him to protect me. And I, I will protect him as well. We are a team.

Our team dynamic has changed slightly with Rylan around, but we make it work because we need to.

Currently, I look across a shiny black car in a dealers lot. It is some foreign super car company I have never even heard of. On the other side of the hunk of gorgeous metal, Zander is eyeing it up. He walks to the front of the car and lifts up the hood. I have no idea if he knows what he is looking at, but it seems like he does. "Would you like to take it for a spin?" the salesman asks. I gape at no one in particular.

I told Zander that we wouldn't be allowed to test drive such an expensive car. He bet me otherwise.

Zander looks at me and gives me a seductive wink. The wink doubles as a tiny victory dance for him and a devious play that makes it look like Zander (the pretend billionaire) is teasing his hot girlfriend (the person the boys thought needed to be in a miniskirt to pull off the job - which unfortunately, but undoubtedly, is me). I am still deciding whether to take it as a compliment that they wanted to see me in a tiny skirt, or if I should consider it an insult that they thought I needed to show some skin in order to be 'hot'. I didn't ask. I don't want to know.

Either way, Zander says, "Don't mind if we do, sir", and eases into the drivers seat. I slide into the passenger side and try to keep my legs positioned in the most lady-like way I know how. Although, it is very difficult as I am not used to skirts that don't hit at least my lower thigh.

Zander pulls out of the lot and roars down the road. That salesman certainly doesn't know that he will never see us again. Or the car.

Zander leans over and leaves his face on my side of the car. "So! We stole a car just like that! Pay up, darling," he says to me. I roll my eyes and shake my head no.

"Sorry. I'm a liar," I admit. He bet me a kiss on the cheek. I was confident, so I wagered dangerously. We needed a new ride and I figured we could steal somebody's, just like we had with the last two. The boys wanted to steal a brand new one. So here we are.

"Aw, Decklynn. You've kissed me before on my pretty little lips! Why won't you just give me a peck on the cheek in honor of our bet?" he whines at me.

"Well," I start. "Your lips are one thing, but your cheek? That's just disgusting!" I tease him. He pretends to look hurt. He grabs my hand that was keeping my skirt from sliding up my seated legs, and rubs it against his face.

"Isn't that soft, Decklynn? Isn't it? Don't you want to out your luscious lips on that skin? Isn't it soft?" he laughs. Gosh, it is.

"Noooo. Still gross."

Zander goes back to focusing on racing the car down the road with a smirk on his face. I think he might be giving up, for once.

I reattach my hand to my skirt and stretch the material so it covers as much of my legs as possible. Zander glances over from the corner of his eye, but doesn't say anything about it.