Chapter 5

Jughead POV

It was the kind of greenhouse September heat that was positively Jurassic . You feel like your hallucinating as your mind promises that you see things melting a little; the liquid black sky , the white gel-penned stars , the neon lights bleeding colour everywhere.  A carnival ran throughout the entirety of summer and the beginning of fall on the Edge of riverdale outskirts on no mans land rife with weeds and saw grass , a sea of flat earth . It feels like the eternity of infinity out there .

I took a swig of that almost soda like weak stuff , savouring the refreshing taste being left on my taste buds .  I was sat on a picnic bench watching some rollercoaster jolting from side to side and then up and down , the joyous screams phasing  in and out like a distant radio station. Roller coasters scare me , and it's all to do with me loosing my toy hippo named Henry when I was five . Henry fell from 80 feet in mid air from me throwing my hands up in careless glee resulting in my mother sewing his eyes back on with two buttons from some old skirt of hers , a big sacrifice , I know . However , I just cried and cried , insisting that he was dead until she let me give him a funeral in my back garden , using a cornflakes box from the recycling bin as a coffin.

However that isn't the point right now , I'm sitting here waiting for Betty .

The idea was to take Betty out for something 'casual' , not a date , to get her mind of things , and what better to do than some cheap carnival with old and rustic rides surrounding us ?

I threw back the rest of the beer in a quick gulp and threw the crushed can into the trash can next to me.

I saw her walking towards me .

Betty looked around her , taking in her sights as she walked towards me , I peered past her, but my attention was split. Beyond her, a confetti of lights and fey music , all the ugly carnie weirdness rendered magical thanks to the distance. But my eyes kept catching on her face. From below it was traced with red neon, from
Above with metallic moonlight, sketching out a cute , almost sulky chin, lips that looked too soft and sensitive for a human, her eyelashes were a fringe of fury darkness, I couldn't see her eyes from this angle.

"Hey"

Her voice chirping in my ears disrupting me from my gazing , and I could only manage to choke out a humble "hello" back before standing up and instantly towering over her.

"Thanks for doing this for me juggie" her voice was melodic and she instantly wrapped her arms around me . I subconsciously held her close to me , inhaling the scent of vanilla from her purely elegant perfume , and feeling her warm body flush against mine .

"Anything for my Juliet "

Yeah technically it isn't supposed to be a date , but who cares ? I might as well be bold and hope she catches on to the idea that I like her as more than a friend .

I don't think I meant to flirt , but she blushed and moved a little closer to me anyway.

"And the same for you Romeo " she laughed that beautiful laugh , the laugh I felt like I hadn't heard in ages . My Betty was getting back to her usual self , and a part of me felt like it was my doing .

"Anyway juggie , I didn't agree to this so we could act like some old couple , I've been craving candy floss ever since you mentioned this outing "

"Sure thing "

I laughed and we started to walk through the carnival , we sauntered past the crowded stalls , filled with popcorn and pretzels and corn dogs ; cotton candy and ice cream. The air was drugged with salt and sugar . It made my head spin . We passed the rigged games - milk bottles , darts- where people stubbornly throw away there money at the carnie  just to try and win some giant lice-ridden teddy fresh out of a Taiwanese sweatshop.

We reached the candy floss store , and her face lit up like a kid in a sweet store . I couldn't be happier .

"Two candy floss please "I spoke to the carnie , he had so much acne that he looked like a halftone comic , like when you peer really close at a newspaper and you see that everything that looked solid is just little dots .

I gave him the money and then grabbed the candy floss and passed one of them to Betty .

"You should give me the heads up , you taste it first and tell me how it is " I laughed and directed us to a quieter area , where only the odd drunk guy hung around keeping on muttering about how he was sorry .

"Sure , do you trust my opinion ?"

"I trust you with all my heart Elizabeth cooper "

She blushed and looked away for a moment , before taking a bite out of he pink cloud resting on the stick .

Her face looked perplexed as she furrowed her brows and placed a finger on her lips .

"Interesting..."
She spoke in a playful tone .

"Spill it , is it worth eating "

"Hmmmmmmm.... definitely " she laughed once more and shoved my own candy floss in my face making me instantly shove hers in her own face . We were covered .

"Feeling playful are we ?" I tease as I bring my finger to wipe some off of her lip, then to taste it from my lips.

"Well I'm with you so of course I feel that way "

And before I knew it , are lips were leaning in simultaneously. Soft and slow, no worries, no thoughts, just us living in our own bubble as we edged towards pure bliss.