Chapter 7

Jordan's P.O.V

That night, I went out drinking again with Josh. I was trying to drown out the constant thought of my broken friendship. I thought I was over it, but seeing her smile at me as I watched cartoons brought back so many childhood nights of happiness and fun. I don't think I've been genuinely happy since then. I've been focusing on the artificial happiness of sex and rebellion, causing me to turn to alcohol to drown out the suffering.

I was miserable despite my 'glorious' life.

With every shot I took, a different image of Olivia's face appeared in my thoughts.
With shot number one it was when I first met her, when she wandered out of the servants quarters at a very young age.
Shot number two was the first time we watched cartoons together.
Shot three was the night before our friendship ended; I had surprised her with a quick kiss as she left me from a day of watching cartoons. Her cheeks turned bright red and she smiled her cute little girl smile.
Shot four was her face as we played tag on that fateful day.
Shot five was her face as I fell face-first into the stairs: mortified.
Shot six was the first time I had seen her after that day; it was about seven years later. I smiled at her and waved but she just looked down at her feet and quickened her pace.
Shot seven was the first time I noticed how beautiful she was; I was 16. It was the night that I had sex for the first time in a one-night-stand.
Shot eight blurred to nine and so on as pictures of her swirled in my head.

I was soon slobbering drunk. The only person I could think of was Olivia, despite all of the pretty girls hitting on me.

I sighed and called my driver. The ride home was a blur and the castle was the next thing I saw.

I remembered calling for Olivia to bring me a glass of water and some aspirin for the morning. She walked into the room with a gentle smile and a tray. I smiled back, probably harder than I should have. This was my chance to talk.

Olivia's P.O.V

I got a call late at night telling me to bring Jordan stuff to help his hangover for when he woke up. I went to the kitchen and grabbed a glass of water and some aspirin. Then, I headed up to his room, hoping with all of my heart that he was alone.

I opened the door with a sigh of relief as I saw that there was no one lying in bed with him. I gave him a loving smile, which he returned-or tried to due to his level of intoxication.

I placed the tray on his night stand and went to leave.

I was stopped when his smooth voice called me. "Livy wait," he called.

My heart caught at what he called me. That was his old nickname for me, which I haven't been called in years.

"Don't leave. Please, just stay," he pleaded with me.

I nodded and went back to him, standing by the bed. He gestured for me to sit down and I did.

"Why the fuck did you just stop!" He yelled at me out of nowhere, drastically changing the mood.

"What?" I asked him, but I knew what he meant.

"You were my best friend one day and just another servant seven years later," he clarified. I looked away, ashamed. "Why," he continued," was it me?" I quickly shook my head. "Why?" he asked again. I couldn't give him an answer. It took everything I had not to cry.

Jordan's P.O.V

I saw her look away in shame. That was what I wanted, right?

Of course it wasn't, no one wants to see their friend hurt. If we even were still friends.

"I'm sorry," she muttered.

Those two words. The two words I had been wanting to hear from her for a long time. I relished them.

I sat up and hugged her from behind, my arms wrapping around her shoulders. I felt as drop of water land on one of my arms and a soft sniffle escaped from her. I had never seen her cry before and was taken aback.

I looked her straight in the eyes as I wiped her cheeks, rubbing them gently when the tears were gone.

Seeing her feel genuinely bad about our lost friendship that I was torn up about ignited something in me that had been extinguished years before. It ignited hope.

"Stay with me," I pleaded.

She hesitated for a moment then nodded slowly.

I smiled and laid back down. I fell asleep when my head hit the pillows.

Olivia's P.O.V

As soon as Jordan fell asleep, I kissed him on the forhead and left. I would have liked to be with him that night, but it seem like a bad idea for two reasons.

1. He was drunk and I felt like staying with him would somehow be taking advantage of him.

2. Anybody could walk in and see me, then it would off to the dungeon for life... or worse.

I slipped out the door as quietly as I could.