1.19.5 | Between Trust & Safety

Start from the beginning

And now, I had to ensure no harm would come to her because of me. She didn't deserve for her life to be threatened after everything she had sacrificed for us.

My uncle, Kripa's father, deemed it fit to threaten to take Aarav away from me - claim I couldn't take care of him - if I didn't agree to help his friend's sinking business. If he had played it decent and simply asked me to consider investing in his friends' business, I would have considered it. He didn't need to threaten.

As pissed I am at him for using an innocent child as a weapon to get what he wanted, I couldn't risk Lavanya's life, or Anjali. We had all worked hard to keep Aarav in the family so Anjali could be close to him. Even if not my son by blood, he was my nephew and I didn't ever take him to be less than a son. I would sacrifice anything I had to for his sake.

With a heavy heart, I had to come to a decision. I had to stay away from Khushi as well. I had to let her go. With my uncle getting out of control and using the people I care about against me, I wouldn't take another risk. I could never let him know about Khushi. My family - Anjali, Aarav and Lavanya - them I could protect. I'd give him whatever he needed to neutralize his threat.

But Khushi, I could not protect.

She was a different one altogether. No one would understand what we had. I was starting to care for her in a different light than any other. But, I could never let that show. Not even to Khushi herself.

Between breaking her trust and ensuring her safety, I chose her safety.

She would hate me. She might never trust me in life ever again. The consequence would be on me and so, I toughened my heart to do what needed to be.

This had to be the reason why I never allowed myself to care for a girl. I broke my rules unknowingly and now... more than me, she was going to pay for my mistakes.

. . . ∞ . ∞ . ∞ . ∞. . .

"I need your help with something."

Amanda looked up from her book as she was sitting at a picnic table on campus. She greeted with surprise, "Arnav! Hey, haven't seen you in some time. Sit."

Taking a seat, I got straight to the point. "This may sound weird and random but I need you to not ask any questions."

Her eyes knit together with confusion, "Okay?"

I moved slightly closer to her and she eyed my actions before I spoke in as laidback voice as I could manage, "I'm going to kiss you and I need you to not slap me, okay?"

She was stumped at first and I waited for her to come to terms with my sudden request. She then giggled unable to comprehend, "Uh, what?"

I sighed in a rush for I saw Khushi in a distance, "I can't explain but are you okay with it?"

Though still confused, "Okay, I guess," she answered.

"I'm sorry to drag you into this," I apologized nearing her before kissing her.

I pulled back after about five seconds, knowing that would have been enough time for Khushi to see it. Amanda opened her eyes her cheeks starting to turn red. "Wow."

I repeated, my fingers on her chin. "I am sorry."

While she recovered, I stood up to leave. She recovered quicker than expected though and grabbed my wrist. "Whoa, wait. Hold up. Explain."

"I told you, I can't." I expressed, defeated. I already felt horrible for doing this and breaking Khushi's trust, the promise I made her.

She challenged, "Can't or won't?"