Chapter Fourteen

|UNEDITED|

A lean chest slammed into my body, or more like I did, catching me steadily on my toes. My lungs inhaled a sharp breath, staggering back a few inches. A clad shirt hung to the strangers chest, his scent invading my personal space, as cologne surrounded our presences. It didn't take me longer than five seconds to realise Nate was the one who it belonged to.

I peeked up from my eyelashes merely, avoidance in my eyes as his eyebrows furrowed at the sight of my alarmed state. I tried to compose myself the best I could, not wanting to create drama.

"Hey..." His voice trailed off wearily, confused as to why such tension enveloped the room. I didn't bother replying. I don't think I would have found my voice if I tried.

I heard Harold shuffle around slightly, his feet scuffing against the floor.

In all honesty, I was thanking the gods that Nate had arrived. Feeling just that extra bit of security run through me. I refused to let my awkward tendencies perk up at such an inconvenient time, but that didn't stop my mind from reeling over the event that happened a mere two days ago.

Nate hadn't mentioned it, and as far as my observant skills go, I couldn't tell if he was thinking about it or not. Not that I expected him to. His comfort was strictly plutonic. And maybe I was just creating an awkward air. I did that a lot. But I couldn't help it.

Something just seemed...off.

I couldn't place my finger on just what, but it had played on my mind like a repetitive song on a loop, sending my mind into overdrive. It was probably just me. After all, I was as lonely as they come. I hadn't had comfort in a long while. And maybe I had forgotten what it felt like.

"Everything OK...?" Nate's voice trailed off as he observed us, clearly noticing that something wasn't right. I casted my eyes down, folding my arms across my chest cowardly. I wanted nothing more than to curl inside my skin and never come out.

I could feel Nate's eyes shift towards my still frame, noticing the way her shifted just an inch closer to me. I didn't bother moving back. Given that Harold stood a few steps back, and I wasn't risking him catching me.

"Nate, how are you? I haven't seen you in a while." Harolds voice boomed from behind me, a cheery tone taking over the one he held before. I held back a flinch at the sudden sound, closing my eyes briefly.

I wondered if the two men were close, given Harold's warm greeting, almost as if they had been friends for years. They probably had, given he was Mindy's uncle and all.

Swiftly, I took a quick glance at Nate'd expression for a second, wondering if it would be considered rude if I left now. I stayed put, not wanting to raise suspicion.

Although, Nate's eyes told a different story. I caught a glimpse of unsureness travel throughout his eyes, a hint of weariness as his they flickered towards Harold and I. He gave me a questioning glance, his eyebrows furrowed. But I managed to muster up a convincing smile, half reassuring but still there.

I think he must have bought it with the subtle nod of his head, returning Harold's greeting.

"Hi, Mr Ink. I'm good, thank you. You?" His voice came across hesitant, almost as if his mind told his tone to create some kind of hostility, barely there, but still present. I shifted awkwardly onto my left foot.

"How many times, Nate. Call me Harold." Harold piped, waving Nate's formality off. The insistency in his voice was vibrant, clearly fixed on treating Nate like his own son.

I think was surprised me was Nate's shifts and flickers of discomfort, catching them with my eyes once or twice. Harold didn't notice, a grin still present on his face, and maybe if I wasn't looking close enough, I would have missed the way Nate's fist seemed to clench once or twice.