Chapter Nine

Sorry for the late updates! I've been stuck on writers block for a while but I'm managing to write more now. This chapter isn't really that good, I don't know 😕 I'm not exactly happy with how it turned out. Saying that, the next chapter should be out sometime this week!

Thank you for reading

Lotté xoxo

➖➖➖➖

"Take the job, Ardella. I'm trying to help."

With those as his parting words, he didn't wait for my response. I'm not sure he needed to. I may have not realised it then and there, but I knew I would end up taking the job. Albeit, I would have to endure six hours of glistening awkwardness and self destruct, but at least my financial crisis would be solved. At least I wouldn't have to sell my dignity to the devil and ask my parents for help.

I watched as his retrieving figure stalked over towards the elevator, standing across from my apartment. I wanted to close the door, my hands twitched under the cold metal, but as much is they pleaded, they made no effort to push away. My eyes refused to stray from his presence. It captivated me. His being. His mesmerising features were far too incredible to turn away. Just like always.

It took some time for the reality to sink in. My situation, to be exact. I hadn't comprehended the fact that he was here. Not just in my memories, but in the flesh. After five years, five years of not seeing those green eyes sink into my blue ones. Five years of not being within each others distance. He was here. But he wasn't. I thought about him. More than what was considered healthy. He was always that reoccurring thought in my mind, the broken one. The one that made it close to impossible to move on. It was idiotic. How even after so long, my heart still felt for him. It still reacted in the same way it did when I left.

Who knew he was so close, yet so far.

I wondered how long he had lived in the city for. As far as I knew, Hale enterprises had been around for over three years, thank you to Wikipedia for my hours of research and stalker tendencies. I wasn't surprised that I had never seen him, given that New York was a big place. Millions of people roamed the streets everyday, and I doubt my eyes would land on the familiar brown haired man that captured my heart years ago.

When his body entered through the elevator doors, he turned around. As soon as he did, I was the first thing that his eyes latched onto, as If he knew I was still staring. I should have averted my eyes. I should have closed the door and not looked back, but my eyes never strayed away from his. They held my gaze, like old times. I didn't make any efforts to cover up the regret in my mine. That continuous dullness, that always glinted in them. I'm almost positive it was written all over my face every time I saw him.

The impassive expression his face held refused to relinquish, it was menacing, as well as dangerous. All I could see were straight lips and cold eyes. I feared they would never warm. My thoughts invaded with the possibilities of his personality. Had he changed? Despite only having seen him twice in the space of a week, I knew he wasn't the same Emerson I had fallen in love with back in high school. The aura that surrounded him was different. It held dominance, power. Like his being was enough to bring anyone weak to their knees, begging for mercy if they ever crossed his wrath. I couldn't explain it. Maybe he wasn't just cold hearted to me. Maybe that was just who he was. Stone cold and vicious.

I missed him.

The old him.

I miss the way his eyes sparked with kindness, and his words shining with love. I missed ever aspect about him. From the way his words left burn marks in my heart from intensity and the way his gaze could stop my heart for a millisecond.