Chapter Five

EMERSON'S POV

STORMY BLUE EYES CAPTURED my green ones, the evident recognition standing out like a lit candle, flickering in a room full of darkness.

Memories rushed through me, like a broken record player, unwilling to stop. The love that I had once shared for this girl, every show of affection, every candle light dinner, and midnight drive. The way our hands fell intertwined, on the cold winter days, when I would give her my gloves and scarf, because of her stubbornness to admit she was cold. Every 'I love you' in the morning, and every kiss at night.

Every single image flashed through my eyes, like the saying of death, how your life flashes before your eyes, all in seven seconds.

The feeling of heart flutters, warm smiles that made my eyes light up with cherish, and the way her eyes captivated my own every single second we spent together.

Just like now.

But even through all the love and bliss, came anger and hurt.

This was the girl that left me, a broken heart filled with useless memories and pain.

I averted my eyes all to soon, rejecting the feeling of want. To reach out to her, hold her in my arms just like before.

She broke your heart, Emerson.

I told myself, or more like chanted to myself. My state was in too much shock to process everything.

What was she doing here?

The Ardella Bloom that left me back in high school, was the girl who was supposed to be leading the glamorous lifestyle, following in her mothers footsteps as a famous publisher, not here.

"Emerson." Her soft voice resonated through my ears, the voice that I had longed to hear for so long, the voice that was once like a melody to my ears, now just like a distant sound, one that I had no intention to listen to.

"That's Mr Hale to you." I snapped, my words seeping venom, as I walked to the back of my desk, sitting down in the process. I could feel my tense shoulders stiffening even more in her presence. Every atom in my body was on guard, protecting me from the pain that she had once caused me.

I willed myself not to look back at her, but my eyes deceived me as they wondered over towards her. Seeing the same blue eyes that once held happiness and joy, now being replaced by hurt and sadness broke me. My own eyes held sorrow, feeling guilty that I was acting so harsh towards her.

But I couldn't let her see that.

"Take a seat, Miss Bloom." I told her, annoyance evident in my tone. The name felt foreign to me, having used to laugh at people who would address us as such formalities when we were younger, it felt wrong.

I watched as she took a seat across from my desk, almost reluctantly. Her nervous habits never seemed to fade, as I watched her shift in the seat awkwardly, a sign she was uncomfortable with this situation, but still my eyes never left her.

The sight was almost painful.

But my mind refused to look away.

"So tell me something about yourself." The question tumbled out of my mouth before I had chance to restrain it. The words so bizarre on my tongue, it left a bitter taste. There was nothing to tell me, that I didn't already know. I knew this girl like the back of my hand, every like and dislike, every hobby and adoration.

I knew her.

Or at least I did.

Five years was sure to change a person.