The Encounter [II]

Natalia sat on Diana's bed wrapped in multiple blankets while she scrolled through her anonymous Twitter account reading tweets from the people she followed.

A week had gone by since she met the man she had been in love with since her discovery of The Tudors, and she had yet to text him with a time for when she was free.

It felt weird and surreal, surely it had been a dream and she had subconsciously programmed some random number into her phone while she was dreaming. Or maybe, the voice in her head began, it did happen and if you would just text the number, you would see for yourself. After all, there is no way that picture is not real!

She rolled over onto her side, phone closer to her face and the world of twitter long forgotten as she opened the message from 'Bob'. Bob. So she wasn't the best with names, but Bob was pretty convincing, right? Either way, she disregarded the stupid name she made up and stared at the picture that had been sent to her approximately a week ago by 'Bob'. That picture was very much real and she would have to accept that this was indeed his number and she would need to text him with a time. 

Time was running out for her and in less than two days she would be on a plane and returning back to the warmth of her town in Texas. But no matter how many times she hovered her thumbs over they letters on the keypad, she just couldn't bring herself to say anything.

'Hello,' she had typed out before erasing it and trying again.

'Hi'. No, again.

'I don't know if you remember me but I'm the girl you gave your number to a week ago.'

With a sigh, she erased the messaged and tossed down her phone. It was hopeless. Maybe he gave out his number to all the girls he thought to be pretty and long forgot all about her. Then she'd feel less guilty about leaving without seeing him one last time.

Natalia rolled onto her back and stared up at the white, popcorned ceiling in Diana's room. Today was the only day she had without Diana constantly in her ear going on about Henry this and Henry that. Every since that day Diana had become obsessed with everything to do with Henry Cavill and now she was out and on the hunt around Winnipeg in search for the location of Henry's latest project.

She rolled over again, bored with making shapes out of nothing and thoughts about Diana's new obsession. She wanted something to do, something to occupy her time while she was there. Maybe a walk around town or to a park? But it was just too cold.

And then, while she was about to close her eyes and just go to sleep, she received a text. It took her a minute to roll onto her stomach. She was strongly debating whether or not she should just ignore the message and sleep, but then it could be Diana with an update, and Natalia couldn't ignore her friend or she'd never get any sleep.

So she flipped over the white phone and tapped the button on the side. The message that appeared on the screen was not from Diana but from someone named 'Bob'.

Surely she was hallucinating. Perhaps she had dyslexia and had somehow misread what it really said. She did that a lot, misreading that is.

Or maybe, just maybe, if she would turn her phone back on instead of staring at a black screen, she would be able to see if Bob had, in fact, messaged her and it wasn't all just a trick of the eye.

But she couldn't do it. She felt queasy thinking about touching her phone just to confirm if she wasn't seeing this. Then there was her heart. Why was it beating so quickly? All she did was just turn on the phone to see who texted her yet she felt as if she had just sprinted a mile.

Finally, she inhaled deeply and exhaled. Why was she being like this? It wasn't the least bit a rational response and she knew that she was just getting worked up for nothing.

"Okay," she sat out loud to no one but herself. "You can do this."

She took another deep breath, turned on the phone and without looking at the message, she swiped the screen to unlock the phone and went directly to her messages. Now she really couldn't ignore the message. It was staring her right in the face in bold font waiting to be read.

"Okay Bob," she said as she tapped on the message that was indeed from him and not a figment of her imagination. "Let's see what you have to say."

Her eyes scanned the tiny spiral font she chose as her phone's font. At first, her face suddenly felt warm, and then, as he eyes scanned the text once more, she sat up.

'i'ɱ cuʀiѳuร tѳ kɳѳw wɦɑt ɑʆʆ tɦѳรɛ uɳรɛɳt ɱɛรรɑgɛร รɑy'

How did he know? Surely he didn't sit around with his phone in his hand staring at their conversation that consisted of only messages from him. Even now as she considered that insane idea, she knew it to be false. He was a busy man with little time, how could he possibly sit around waiting and watching as three little dots appeared and disappeared? Where there even dots on his end?

'I can see that you read my text'

Natalia forced her eyes closed shut.

What was wrong with her? Was this not the very man she had dreamed of finding a guy similar to? Why couldn't she just behave normally like any sane girl would and just text him back?

Do it, said the voice in her head. Do it now or regret it for the rest of your life.

'Hey'

Hey? Really? Of all the things to text and she went with hey?

Natalia groaned and fell back against the soft mattress and closed her eyes. That poor man, she ignored him for a week and she finally acknowledges him and all he got was a 'hey', what is he going to think?

Her phone whistled again, the notification sound it made whenever she received a message. This time there was no hesitating, closing her eyes or even simply wishing this was just a dream. Natalia picked up the rectangular phone and turned it on just so she could read his response. 

'ɦɛy'. 

She crinkled her nose at the way the font looked on her phone and immediately went to change it while she decided on what to write back. But before she could even exit out of her phone settings, another message appeared. 

'Are you free now?'

'No, I'm expensive,' and before she could even erase the message and rewrite a new, less stupid one, it sent. 

"Nooooooo! Whyyyy?" she howled as she sat up and stared at the phone, her eyes twice their normal size. "I hate phones!" And since she was too embarrassed to think of any response to her previous message, she fell back against the pillows and closed her eyes. "Why, God?" 

God didn't answer her, but the whistling of her phone did and she knew, no matter how hard she kept her eyes closed tight, she would have to read it eventually. And so she did, slowly, through one eye she read the message and found her other eyes slowly opening. 

'I bet you're worth it' which was soon followed by, 'Where am I picking you up at?'

I was going to continue this as a book of its own but I have more motivation doing it this way. Also, our girl no longer shares the name of the readers... unless your name is Natalia or Talia 🙈 Also, please tell me you cracked up toward the end? Because I did.