Chapter Eight: Narrowing the distance

I saw Manik, standing there looking at us, there were drops of tears in his eyes, which were oozing out of his eyes but he was controlling them, I pulled apart from Madhyam and maintained a distance between us. I advanced towards Manik, to which he kept his hand between us "Nandini, you go. I am coming in some time."  I agreed because this was the best thing to do that time, Manik was angry and why won't he, he just saw his fiancé with his ex , hugging and close to him. Anyone will be upset over this, this is all my fault, why did I have to melt down in front of him, probably because I still loved him.

"Madhyam, Nandini se dur raho, she is no longer your fiancé, she is mine now. It's better you don't cross your limits and don't worry her. I don't want any further issues, it's better you leave and stay away from her life." Manik warned Madhyam and he just stood there grinning evilly, and started clapping loud to Manik's surprise "Woah, you're great brother, tu mahaan hai, you're leaving me in spite of catching me and your fiancé together? You got to know the meaning of all this? Nandini still loves me and remember , she will love me like this till her last breathe, you can remove me from her life but who will remove me from her heart?  And guess what, I am a devil, Manik. I won't let her forget me and the memories I made with her ever, I will come back every time she tries to forget me and eventually she will be forced to come back to me, for the sake of love, just wait and watch, Manik" Madhyam laughed and Manik out of rage grabbed his collar and pulled him close " Stop this nonsense of yours? And whom are you challenging? Manik Malhotra? Then you should know this that Manik Malhotra doesn't lose any challenge, he is a winner. I will make Nandini fall in love with me, very soon, and she will forget that any Madhyam ever existed, I will prove this to you very soon, I won't pull you down in her eyes, but will pull myself up in her eyes, because I am not a bloody loser like you, Madhyam. Grow up!"

Manik left his collar and in his utmost attitude walked up to me to find me sitting on the chair gloomily, he snapped his fingers and I looked up to him, guiltily. I opened my mouth to apologise when Manik kept his finger on my mouth and shushed me. "You don't need to say anything, it's not your fault, I can't expect you to forget him suddenly na? It takes time, and I am ready to give you as much time you want, and as far as that hug is concerned, I felt bad but I can't spoil this date of ours for that stupid thing, isn't it? Come let's eat, You must be hungry na? " I couldn't believe my ears, was this man a saint in disguise? How can he be so calm after what he saw? How did this man with a heart of gold came in my life? Did I really deserve to be his wife? I just nodded and he also sat beside me, we both had a glass of wine, and then ate our food silently, I didn't had guts to speak something, he didn't say something because of the awkwardness I had created because of the situation.

Finally, I had my last bite of the dessert, and my spoon clinked with the plate, and I saw Manik's plate which was completely empty, not a tit bit was left and I chuckled seeing his love for food to which he burped and I laughed aloud. "Poora Ka poora chat kar gaye? Phir toh aisa hi hoga na?" I laughed more and after few seconds I saw Manik also laughing. "Chalo, it's nice, at least yeh awkwardness toh khatam huyi, I was thinking this whole thing will end like this only, but thank god!" I just looked at this humble man, who was just happy by my mere laughter, he didn't had any complaints, questions or accuses. He was happy with the time I was spending with him, he gladly accepted me as whoever I was. He didn't cared whom did I prioritize, just the mere fact gave him happiness that I was with him. "Manik, how can you be so calm and cool about all this? I am not understanding this behavior of yours, I am not understanding you." He still looked at me, deep in my eyes, took my hand and kept it in between his hands and blinked his eyes to ask me permission for holding hands and I blinked my eyes in response. " Nandini, I don't care about your past, I don't want to know what happened, I just know, that you are my present and you will be my future,that's what matters, come on, he will try to divert our attention to him, he has lost a gem dude, he will try to gain it back, but the choice is yours, if you want to go back to the person who didn't value you when you were with him, or you want to be with the person who values you and will value you for the rest of your life, I don't want to pressurize you to accept me as your husband, I know it takes time Nandini, I have experienced all this, trust me, I know how it feels. But unfolding the past only creates more bitter memories, so why not live the present and create sweet memories." He left my hand and we both broke the long lasting eye lock, after that we both sat in the car, and my all time favourite song was playing in the music player, I jumped with joy, and Manik saw my excitement, "This your favourite song also? " I nodded and he chuckled with joy "Also? Yours too? That's great, come let's sing the parts na? It would be fun! " Manik nodded and started his part.

Chhuteya na chhoote mosey
Rang tera dolna
Ik tere baajo duja
Mera koi molna
Bolna mahi bol na
Bolna mahi bol na

Mm.. Mmm..

The background music played and Manik was humming, while I was imagining Manik in place of Sidharth Malhotra in the song, I just smiled, imagining myself Alia Bhatt, while I imagined Madhyam as Fawad Khan, I just tried to recreate this song in our own version and closed my eyes while Manik sang.

Tere liye aaya main toh tere sang jaana
Dholna ve tere nal jindadi bitavaan
Kadi naiyo chodna
Ishq di dor na
Saare chadh jaayein mahi
Tu na chodna
Bolna mahi bolna
Bolna mahi bolna

Mm.. Mmm..

He completed his humming part and now it was my turn, I cleared my throat to which Manik chuckled and I made a grump face and ignored.

Tere sang hasna main tere sang rona
Tujhme hi rehna main tujhme hi khona
Dil mein chhupa ke tujhe
Dil naiyo kholna
Marke bhi mahi tose munh na modna

Bolna maahi bolna
Bolna maahi bolna

Chhuteya na chhoote mosey
Rang tera dolna
Ik tere baajo duja mera koi molna
Bolna mahi bol na (bol na)
Bolna mahi bol na (mahi bolna)

We completed the song and hi five each other, very happy and content with each other. Though, Manik was a complete stranger to me, but was he making a place in my heart? In that heart which was reserved for Madhyam, was Manik taking his place in it?

***********************